- advertisement -

Integrated VS Stand Alone CGM's

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Jan 30, 2013.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

There has been a lot of talk about the pro's and cons of having the CGM be integrated with the pump.

Here's my 23 cents. (the words in all caps are the ones that make me the happiest and were the biggest surprise)

We LOVE having the stand alone model. Ava is 6, very active and independent. We just upgraded to the Dexcom G4 which has fabulous range. I can keep it in my pocket, or on the coffee table and it reads anywhere she is playing around the house.

I CAN DO LAUNDRY in the basement while listening to NPR while my kids stomp around upstairs like a herd of elephants and it will beep to tell me it's time for a snack.

I can literally hang it from my headboard so it buzzes in my ear and it WILL wake me from a dead sleep. Thus, I can sleep deeply.

I can leave it in Ava's gymnastics bag and it reads while she is anywhere in the gym. I can check it throughout her class and flag her down if she needs a snack.

Her teacher reads it throughout the day and sends her to the nurse as needed. Seriously, best feature of the CGM is how relaxed I am about her being at school.

It READS ON THE PLAYGROUND! Snow ball fights, and sledding are WAY more awesome now that I am not needing to defrost a finger every 10 minutes.

Our friends will watch her and know they don't have to do anything but hand her a juicebox if it beeps, and call me. Before, people were nervous about needing to do a finger stick.

ROAD TRIPS! Fantastic for setting temp basals, letting her nap and planning out snacks as the arrow drops. All from the comfort of the front passenger seat.

I can finally say "Go to your room!" and discipline my child as I would without D and without needing to peek while she's in time out to make sure she's not going low.

HIDE AND SEEK NO LONGER GIVES ME NIGHTMARES. (one day Ava was playing hide and seek and went low in the closet, but was too disoriented to tell anyone or come out from her hiding space. Yeah,:) good times.)

Now if I was an adult and not wanting to carry too much gear, or a competitive swimmer, I could see the benefit of having an integrated model. But even then, it would be nice to wear a dress and not have to fish out the pump to look at the CGM.

the G4 is smaller than a cell phone. Easy enough to carry. So if you are on the fence about getting one, you should.

If you are on the fence about switching pumps because you hope for an integrated model, well, it's easy to see my thoughts about that. :D

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

*eek* but what if you knew she was low and couldn't find her..... an integrated CGM alarm may have lead you to her ??

3. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I agree with so many of your reasons. Prior to starting the G4 (our first cgm), I thought we were settling for a non integrated cgm because we had gone with the ping. With the range the G4 has, that's not the case.

If you like to check the cgm often, the separate receiver will let your CWD avoid many little reminders of D. There will come an age where this changes, not sure when, but at 7 it's way worth not having to pester her. She wears the receiver next to her pump at school. I chose to stop her teacher from holding it so she wouldn't look at it so much... Caroline just lets her know when it vibrates. Every once in awhile she'll miss the vibration and it will alarm to get her attention, so it works out. At home she puts it on our mantle doesn't deal with it.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

But you'd only find her if it were at full alarm and you were in the same room!

I think the time I'd consider wanting to switch back is to have the VEO (or whatever its US name will be) with the shut-off capability for my daughter's college years. Now I'd prefer to HEAR alarms so that I'm making the decision to shut off the insulin, not a machine.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Of course, on the Medtronic pump, you can have both. ;) We have a Guardian unit that we use any time he is not at school; and at school, the readings go to his pump so that he doesn't have to carry two units.

Best of both worlds, there. ;)

6. MomofSweetOne

We had both, but the range was so bad that my daughter still had to wear the Guardian or it was crying for her. There's no comparison to the ease of G4's range!

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Agreed! I love the flexibility of having one unit (Revel) that will always be in range no matter what and one (Guardian) that I can keep by me.

I know the G4 has great range, but so does our Guardian. It easily reads him upstairs when the unit is downstairs, and, placed right, I can leave it in the hall when he is in bed if I forget to leave it with him and don't want to disturb him by opening the door. I think every transmitter is a bit different, and I guess we just lucked out.

8. hawkeyegirl

Our Guardian has very good range as well, especially in our house. Range is not nearly as good outside or in other wide open spaces, except bizarrely Chuck E Cheese, where it is phenomenal. But it doesn't matter a whole lot because of MM's 40 minute memory. There is continuous data as long as he comes back into range sometime in that 40 minute time period. And, of course, he is always in range of his pump.

For me, the main advantage of having an integrated unit is that I can see exactly when I bolused for food or corrections without having to enter that information manually into a separate unit. All the data is there on the pump. (And if we ever downloaded, it would be there too. ;))

Believe me, once both are available to Animas users...you'll want both.

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

wow our guardian we just got has horrible range. If we are more than 10 or so feet away no go at all. We have actually stopped using it and just use the pump one. Much more accurate than the Dexcom for us but has been more of a pain to use.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I agree!

being able to hold the CGM at dance while watching now that she does a saturday 1.5 hour performance group, when she has IOB.

Or at Irish step dance where I can only drop her off and then come back to watch the last 10 minutes, I can be outside in the parkinglot and get her numbers from there.

Or at grandma's when she is asleep down stairs.

I SOOOOO wish that the G4 was out when she was in cheerleading.

I can not wait till we have two receivers to be able to pick her up.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I think the Dexcom is supposed to be integrated with the Omnipod, right?

We just received our G4, the latest Dexcom technology, and the instructions warn: "Locate the sensor at least 3 inches from the insulin pump to ensure accurate readings." I suppose the integrated CGM will be need to be quite large, and even then, the sensor may need to be changed every 3 days since the pump site cannot last longer than 3 days.

It does sound really good from an investor relations perspective, though.

12. hawkeyegirl

When people talk about Dexcom integrating with Animas or Omnipod, they're talking about the transmitter beaming readings to the pump. They're not talking about a combined pump/sensor site.

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Oh, that's good. Last I heard (long ago) was it was going to be one device with 2 insertion sites.

14. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Always wondered about this. Does G4 have any sort of memory? Would be the first big strike I've heard against G4 and non-integration.

15. MomofSweetOne

This was our experience, only it wasn't even 10 feet. More like 5. We stopped using it because I was being awakened to so many Lost Sensor alerts, and to use it during the day, she had to wear it in addition to the pump. Even with the same small room, it wouldn't read her. I think our G4 is more accurate for days 2-5ish and then about the same beyond that.

16. MomofSweetOne

I missed the scroll back and fill-in at first after switching to G4, but I don't think about it much anymore. I want to know the current number mostly and a big picture graph. The primary reason we have the CGM is for the nighttime alarms, and I like being able to have the receiver beside my pillow without spending an additional fortune on another device.

I don't use the CGM for trends when basal testing. On Medtronic, I found the same calibration could give me numbers ranging from 20 points above to 20 points below. On G4, the screen area in which we target is too small to see significant differences. For basal testing, we test in blood. I wish we could set the range we'd like on the graph, as the entire top 100 is a waste of space in my opinion. I'd be happy with anything above a 250 flatlining on the top of the screen for us. High is high. Then we'd be able to see the difference in a 75 vs. 100.

17. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Having had both systems I can say that the integrated vs stand alone wasn't the deciding factor as much as the ability to calibrate independent of whether dropping or rising. With the medtronic it felt like it was very difficult to find the "right time" to calibrate, Isaac is very active and eats frequently - his BG goes up and down a lot (not out of range a lot, but fluctuates a lot) with the MM this caused issues with accuracy. With G4 we haven't had that trouble.
    Also, it has been easier for others (such as preschool teachers, grandparents, and myself) to utilize in terms of the screen quickly displaying - I guess this is where the "stand alone" part is great, having it in the front seat when he is in the back, seeing the alarm for low/high rather than just hearing a beep from his t-shirt pocket, that is very useful.
    Lastly we had to use a lot of different tapes to keep the large odd shaped MM transmitter from getting pulled out or becoming unstuck, we haven't had to use ANYTHING extra with the G4 and that is big as Isaac has developed very sensitive skin to all the tapes we've tried over the years.
    So, for us the G4 has been a much better CGM...and did I mention their customer service? We had one sensor putter out at 6 days, they sent us a new one right away. How awesome is that?!

18. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I agree with all the reasons why a separate monitor would be a plus. However, my teenage boy would not want another thing to carry. Being a boy, he does not like to carry a meter case, etc. but would rather load up his pockets. He also says it is quicker to test/treat with only dealing with one device and his meter instead of adding another thing to review, etc.

Perhaps if we hadn't started with an integration system, he wouldn't know any better and wouldn't be so set about not carrying another device around.

19. Diana

Diana Approved members

My son (12 yrs old) and I both have a strong preference for stand-alone CGM. He loves just being able to hand it off to me and letting me deal with it. He carries it with him at school on his pump belt and doesn't seem to mind that.

That isn't to say that we wouldn't also like it on his pump -- just our primary preference is stand-alone. Having the readings on his pump would be a nice bonus, and I'm actually looking forward to that (if it actually ever happens :rolleyes:)

We haven't missed the 40 minute memory switching from MM to G4 - mainly because the range on the G4 is so good that we don't actually get out of range very often.

20. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We have always had the integrated CGM ... and I think it would be difficult to switch to seperate ... as an active & 11 year old ... last thing she needs is a seperate unit to put into her pocket ... I am afraid it would be lost in a nanosecond! Between all of the regular stuff she has to carry ... I think adding an expensive reciever would be too much. She also said she like looking down at any time and seeing CGM on pump.