- advertisement -

Insurance

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by ccarrol4, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

Do you guys have insurance? I currently do not, and it is a major stuggle just trying to get the supplies that I need. That whole "preexisting clause" prevents me from getting insurance, and my mom does not currently have insurance either due to a "preexisting condition". She just recenly got a job where they offer insurance, and as long as I'm a full time student, she can insure me until I'm 25. Unfortunatly, she has to work there for a year before she can get the insurance coverage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Does your school offer medical insurance? Our local university offers quite a reasonable plan for the students.

3. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

Yes my school offers insurance. However, it will not cover anything diabetes related, and that is the reason I need the insurance.

4. KhaosFaerie

KhaosFaerie Approved members

I don't have insurance. My husband's new job doesn't offer it until 30 days after employment, but then again has the pre-existing conditions clause in it. I get my supplies through manufacturers of my two insulins (humalog and lantus) which are all free and in bulk. I get the lantus every 3 months and the humalog every 4 months and it is the amount needed. I just found out about help getting insulin pump supplies through ipump.org and then there is always Wal-Mart and the fact that you don't need a prescription for syringes and they have a meter that has cheaper test strips. It might not be one of the best meters but it works when you don't have insurance and can not afford ones. Ipump.org also helps with other supplies other than just pump supplies.

5. KhaosFaerie

KhaosFaerie Approved members

That sucks. If I was in my Master's degree at the University of Utah (I still have a few years of my bachelor's degree left) they offer health insurance and it covers everything from diabetes to mental health. I need insurance for both unfortuanately. The university I attend now University of Phoenix doesn't offer things like that.

Cherise

6. missincali

missincali Approved members

Try and have your mom talk to her Human resource person.

My work is the same way. You have to work a year before you get the insurance. But I did have a co-worker who needed it sooner. All she had to do was talk to our union rep and pay a small fee to get it sooner. Maybe your moms job will do the same. If she isn't union though just talk to a normal HR from her work....

Hope it helps!

Brittany

7. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Starbucks, Costco, UPS, and I believe Office Depot and Fedex give insurance to part-time workers.