- advertisement -

insurance update--good one

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sam1nat2, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm not sure if I can post the name of the company, but I just received an email that a major carrier has reversed their decision and has decided that they WILL offer child only plans.:D:D

I'm not certain of the availability in all states, however I do know for certain that they are offered in OH and FL which is a state without a high risk pool. I personally like the company and have clients on them in CO, TX, and NC.

I will research the plans available to make sure that they are sufficient for our CWD---meaning I'll make sure that they do NOT have a cap on rx coverage or D supplies.

I'm just so happy that OUR kids will now have options, even if WE ourselves can't qualify:D

2. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

That's good news.

OK here's my question...my son is 15. He is currently with us on our obscenely high deductible plan.

My understanding is with the new rules, he can remain on this plan with us until he is 26.

But, he cannot be denied a plan because of pre-existing conditions while he is a child. Which I read to mean that they can still deny him once he turns 18.

If we were to get him his own plan at this point or some point before he is an adult, does he get to keep his own insurance plan when he becomes an adult?

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Charlotte,
    Yes, he can keep the plan as long as he wants. A child only plan is guaranteed issue for under age 19.
    Is he your only child on the plan? If so, it may make more sense to get him his own plan, if there are others, sometimes they charge a flat rate for dependents.
    PM me, I can answer any other questions.