- advertisement -

Insurance Change - Edgepark vs Medco

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by swellman, Feb 14, 2013.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm just throwing this recent experience out there in case it helps anyone else.

We had an Insurance change due to company purchase/merger and went from Aetna to United Health. The mail order pharmacy was still Medco and they "transferred" the old history to the new plan and kept the prescriptions on file so we were fully prepared to use them for everything we had always. However, we could no longer get our Omnipods from Insulet and went through Edgepark. It was a little bumpy but, fortunately, we started early enough so that we should receive our order in plenty of time barring pod failures.

I have plenty of test strips but still wanted to check the Tiers for the strips on our plan and found out that our new plan had a 7 box/3 month limit and had to get an override or whatever it's called and that went without any issues. I found out our payment for the strips through Medco were going to go up $110 per 3 months for a total increase of $440 per year.

Anywhoo ... while finalizing the Omnipod order the CSR asked if we needed strips and I told her that I had just got that straightened out with Medco and she informed me that they would cover the strips 100% - no cost to us because it was diabetic supplies. So ... that's what I'm going to do. This also applied to adhesive wipes, alcohol swabs, adhesive remover and Tegaderm. I took them up on the Tegaderm since swimming season is approaching.

I have no idea if this is due to our particular new plan or if this is fairly standard across plans.

TL;DR - Check with Edgepark to see if you could benefit from ordering test strips and other supplies through them.

2. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

We went through years not realizing that the test strips could be put through as medical supplies which is different then prescriptions. Our medical supplies were covered 100% while we had a copay with prescriptions. We found this little be of news through CWD. Also we have no copay with our Apidra through the zero copay card. After I found out about these wonderful programs I went ahead and googled other drugs that my husband and non d daughter took. We were able to save a lot of money a month with other programs. I suggest that for all regular prescription just google the name with a coupon and see what type of deals are out there.