advertisement

Insulted at 504 meeting today

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by Rhonda, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Rhonda

Rhonda Approved members

Okay so Lilly had her 504 meeting today and the school counselor ask's me how is Lilly's diabete's going? I respond she's doing great her A1c has gone done zero complication's to me that's great right? She respond's well her blood sugar's are up and down really she's diabetic! Then she respond's not to mention the ketone's Seriouly she think's I give Lilly ketone's can not stand this lady that think's she know's everything but nothing about diabete's irritated. (Not to mention Lilly has had ketone's like twice in one year):mad:

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Is the school nurse involved? My DD has high BS at lunch every day. Maybe because lunch is at 1030? Her breakfast insulin is still working! I don't think anyone can understand unless they live with Type 1 every day.

3. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Wow That's kind of crazy...sounds like that lady needs to keep her nose where she knows what she is talking about..That would of drove me crazy..Sorry to hear that..Try not to let it bother you..You know what your doing...:):p

4. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

Wow! How did you react to that? I would have been really mad. Was your child present? That is a crazy wierd thing to say.

5. skimom

skimom Approved members

If you have a school nurse, then involve her. Otherwise a gentle reminder that the counsellor is just that - a counsellor and NOT a medical professional.While you appreciate her concerns, she needs to understand that diabetes is a complicated condition to manage and she does not have the knowledge base to make educated medical based decisions or comments about your child. Instead, you need her to advocate for your child on academic and practical terms and leave the medical end of things to you and your endo who are in a better position to advocate for the medical end of things.Encourage her to learn more about diabetes so she can better advocate in those areas that she should be involved in.
    Unfortunately, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and until you walk a mile in someones mocassins, you cannot truly appreciate what diabetes management is.
    I will share a situation that occured with my daughter - she went away for a ski week with a family where both parents are cardiologists. They sat down with me to go over what my daughter's regime etc was before they left and they were great at calling everynight to keep us informed etc. and managing everything.At the end of the week, they both said they had a whole new appreciation for what their diabetic patients go through and now understood what their patients meant when they said that controlling diabetes is not that easy as they were blown away by the juggling of activity, food , insulin etc and inexactness of the whole thing.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I would be upset as well. And where does this school counselor get off telling you what to say and how to handle your daugther's diabetes? She is saying things about which she has no knowledge. you are doing very well and don't let her make you think different. You are a great mother.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't know why this is posted in the "stickies" forum ?

Perhaps the counselor has little knowledge of how type 1 diabetes works or knows some about type 2 diabetes - where the blood sugar doesn't always fluctuate so wildly. It is hard to tell from the context, but the counselor could just be ignorant (in other words, not educated on type 1) but well meaning.

This could be a good time to offer her some education materials on type 1. I've found sometimes people who want to talk about William's diabetes don't quite know where to start - and may say something that seems ridiculous - but they are trying to open that door to better understanding. So I'm not insulted by that!:cwds:

8. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Rhonda

<<Lilly had her 504 meeting today and the school counselor ask's me how is Lilly's diabete's going?

:rolleyes:

Unless the counselor IS a diabetic, or has diabetes credentials after their name, their comment is like any other dopey comment by someone who one hopes "means well" by their foolishness.

Highs, lows, ketones are NOT her pervue. But you'd be happy to help educate her, if/when she'd like to meet with you privately.... -lol- it should shut her up quickly.

Amused sigh for sadly misguided people

9. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

I see it as the counselor is trying to connect with you, that is what they do. I doubt she meant to be insulting, that does not make sense. I would assume that she got the information from the nurse or your daughter and was trying to make a connection to put you at ease.