- advertisement -

Insulin Types

Discussion in 'Insulins' started by punkinhead06, Nov 6, 2005.

1. punkinhead06

punkinhead06 Approved members

What are all the different types of insulin that are now out for the insulin dependents besides injections? My doctor told me when I first started pumping a year ago that it wouldn't be long 'til they had the inhaled insulin and a patch ready, but I haven't heard anything else about it. Does anyone have any further information?

Thanks,
    Lisa​

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

FDA just delayed approval of inhaled insulin for another 3 months. I don't want this insulin in my son's lungs.:eek:

3. Sweetkidmom

Sweetkidmom Approved members

Inhalable insulin has been released in one of the South American countries, I forget which one. (Ecuador?)
    I haven't heard anything about patches.
    But I did read something about an implantable pump a while ago, using very concentrated insulin (something like U-400) with a reservoir that one could fill by injecting insulin into it from outside the body.

Kay

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  4. punkinhead06

punkinhead06 Approved members

i don't really know if i would like the fact of the inhaled insulin or the implanted pump. i think i've heard about that. it would be kinda odd and scarey, but it would be a lot easier. thanks for your info. if you hear anything else please tell me.

5. butterflygal291

butterflygal291 Approved members

i heard that the inhaled insulin u wouldn't be able to depend entirely on it. u would still have 2 take shots and such. don't know if this is true though. if it is, i don't really see the point. i've never heard of the patches

6. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

It is true that Exubera is only in the form of short-acting insulin. You would still have to take your long-acting shots. I, personally, would rathar have my pump. :) There are also some risks associated with it lung damage.