- advertisement -

Insulin resistance question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MikailasMom, Sep 7, 2010.

1. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

How quickly do your children develope insulin resistance? It seems like 200 is the magic number for us. Whether it be a spike or an error on my part once we hit 200 it's quite a battle to bring her back down.

Tonight I made a carb counting error on beef and noodles (new type of noodles). I had no idea how long before this variety started digesting and pasta is always a problem. I gave her half of her meal bolus upfront and was going to do the other couple of units once we saw the spike starting. Checked dex ever 15-20 minutes over the next few hours and nothing! Went to take a shower so didnt check dex for 25 minutes and when I got out she was 244.:eek: (was just a nice 119 when i thought it was safe to shower!) So I bolused for the correction and for the carbs in the noodles. check dex in two hours and she is going flat at 221, give recommended bolus and recheck dex in 2 hours 209! Check with meter same..recommended bolus given AGAIN! Wow I hate when she gets stuck like this. Site is great, insulin is fresh...just happens to be this way when she is stuck.....

Anyone else?

2. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

Sounds like a horrible experience! What if you eliminate pasta from her diet. With my dd it is dairy that sends her spiraling. Her numbers have been very manageable as long as she doesn't have dairy. And of course, she loves dairy... :(

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD is six years old. She seems to have high daily fluctuations in BG (we are not on CGM, so don't have a full picture). She seems to become insulin resistant:

in the late evening hours -- say 8:00 p.m. -12:00 p.m. If we need to do a significant correction during these hours, we can wind up seeing little change after two hours (and a long night ahead).

if she has been over 250 for many hours (without a CGM, it's hard to say how long, but probably more than 3 or so)

we are continuing to work on p.m. basal rates to address the late evening hours (I think I am too conservative in my basal adjustments) and are more confident/aggressive (or both) in correcting 250+.

4. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Thanks ladies! I guess it was ignorance on my part thinking the numbers had to be prolonged at a higher level to start the insulin resistant cycle!:confused:

5. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

We're seeing the exact same thing with DS. Almost every night he is high after 8:30pm. Like you, I think I'm way too conservative in adjusting the basals for this time frame. Tonight I'm starting to bring the basal up by .05 every night until we see improvement...

The long nights are very frustrating, and the lack of sleep is killing me.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I don't think it was insulin resistance, but the food spiking much later, so whatever corrections you were giving, the insulin was not as fast as the food raising the BGL, kwim? After the insulin caught up, then you saw better results.

Had a thing like that last night, but in the 400s.:( And we were doing so well lately...

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I agree with Paula. This wasn't insulin resistance, but delayed digestion. They look similar, but have two different causes.

With delayed digestion, once he's high, I have to do double corrections and increased temp basals to get him down. It's a fine line, because I don't want to crash him, but otherwise he's high for hours on end.

8. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Yes, it happens to us, too! The same food eaten earlier in the day just takes the regular amount of insulin to bring down, but eaten in the evening - if she hits 200 in the night- takes extra insulin to bring down.

I've always thought that it could be insulin resistance or maybe at 200 my dd starts producing ketones. Since you need insulin to bring down ketones, that would account for some or all of the extra insulin.

In some cases it might be delayed digestion, but when it takes more insulin than usual you know there is another factor - either resistance or ketones.

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Respectfully, I honestly don't think this is a good idea. It's trial and error on dosing for "difficult" foods; eventually, you will see what works. How about alternative - sustituting low-fat versions or even soy milk?

For pasta, you can try different dosages on the pump - extended, combo, superbolus (for really bad spikes), giving 2 boluses (one upfront, one later), prebolusing. Finding what works. There's also whole-wheat pasta, or even soy pasta (what's it called "Strawberry Fields" or something:confused:).

The goal, in my opinion, is not to ditch certain foods, but to find how to dose for them. It may take some time, but eventually we get there.

Obviously if certain foods are a PITA, you can limit them, but avoiding them is not the way to go, IMHO.