advertisement

Insulin Pumps

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Mgirod, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Mgirod

Mgirod Approved members

Hey! I was wondering if anybody on here with an insulin pump has any suggestions when it comes to choosing one? I'm looking at the OmniPod because there isn't any tubing (I play sports so having tubing would most likely become inconvenient) Anything helps! Thank you!!

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Don't let the OmniPod haters turn you away from this amazing pump. You'll see a LOT of negativity about this pump on this Forum. For a more balanced view, check out the various posts about the OmniPod over on TuDiabetes:

tudiabetes.org

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My son likes his tslim pump, but a lot of athletes like the omnipod.

The best way to choose is to actually hold it in your hand and see how it works and feels.

Around where we live there is a "tech nite" about once a month, where all the big companies come and show off their stuff. See if there is something like that near you. If not, Most pump companies will send a rep out to your house to show it to you. Just call the companies you are interested in and ask them to send someone out. :)

Good luck!

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My son uses OmniPod and is very happy with it. My daughter has used Medtronic, T:Slim and OmniPod, with the T:Slim as her favorite. She's MDI'ing, though.

Every pump has it's pros and cons and you will need to look at your circumstances to decide which factors are the most important. If you want a remote, you are limited to Animas or OmniPod, for instance. If you want a touchscreen, it's T:Slim (although other brands are catching up on that), if you want threshold suspend, you need Medtronic and their CGM. If you want 300 unit reservoirs, it's T:Slim and Medtronic, I think. I suggest you figure out which pumps meet your lifestyle, check on coverage with your insurance, and then ask reps for the remaining companies to meet with you to show you their pumps. Once you get your hands on them, one might jump out at you. Or, some feature may come up that you hadn't considered and it will make your decision for you. You never know :)

Good luck!

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

As someone said, the best way to decide is to look, feel, hold, push buttons. Everyone has their own specific list of wants. Consider how much insulin you use, some pumps only hold 200 units of insulin (omnipod is one of them) and for many teens that means changing too often. Tubed or non tubed is another consideration, touch screen, integration with CGM, etc.

My son uses and prefers the Tslim and used it during sports without incident (tackle football). Priorities were ease of use and size of cartridge, and now he's looking forward to integration of cgm (though he will be integrating with his iphone too so may not need the pump integration).

Here's a fairly recent comparison of pumps (June 2015). http://integrateddiabetes.com/insulin-pump-comparisons/
    Good luck!

6. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

My daughter tried out an omni inset. Maybe try one out first to see if you like it before the investment.

She ended up w animas because she didn't like the adhesives w Omni. Her skin was more sensitive to it.

I think any product should give a free trial run w an inset at least.

Now she is interested in t slim. Researching that. Good luck!

7. ashley_renee1998

ashley_renee1998 New Member

Help please!?!?:)

Hi! ^_^ I have had diabetes for 8 years and I have been to scared to get a insulin pump. But I want to try one now, but my question is if care source covers the t:slim insulin pump or not? Because I know that they said that would cover the OmniPod :/ Can anyone help answer my question? Thank you Ashley!:)

8. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I found this link to their policy for insulin pumps. It sounds really similar to the way my insurance worded their policy, and I didn't have any issues with them covering my TSlim.
    https://www.caresource.com/documents/insulin-infusion-pump-therapy-for-diabetes/

9. ashley_renee1998

ashley_renee1998 New Member

Thank you so much!:)