- advertisement -

insulin pump site changes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coni1523, Nov 6, 2007.

1. coni1523

coni1523 Approved members

Does anyone leave the insulin pump site in for longer than 3 days or is that a no-no! I know that the sensor can be left in for longer but I did not know about the quick sets.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

We were told that is a no-no! We change every 2 days per endo instruction because of skin irritation.

3. coni1523

coni1523 Approved members

That is what I thought to. I change every three days. That is what our endo told me to do. Thank you.

Connie

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We change it every three days. However I only change the resevoir when it's low. Though I only recently started this. Probably wouldn't work so well in the heat of the summer.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

We have been doing that with the resev. also.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Our numbers start creeping up at about 2 1/2 days. I change just the site then. I have been keeping the reservoir and tubing the same until I run out, so no rewind and priming - just a "fill cannula". I can have the new site in, the tubing moved to the new site and the old one off in a matter of a minute or two - it goes very quickly!!

7. Scotty

Scotty Approved members

We change the site and reservoir every three days. DS being a teenager has higher insulin needs and we only get three days out of a reservoir fill.

8. karonray

karonray Approved members

i must be the bad one here

I know we need to change the site more than we do, but........ tell that to the 14 y/o. He has left it in aslong as a week with no side effects. but also we have had sites go bad after just a day too.

So the answer is yes we have left them in longer. As long as numbers are good i don't make him change the site. Our average is about 4 days per site ( when not swimming).

Ps. doing this saved us for about 6 months when we had no insurance.... we never had to buy pumps supplies (someone also gave us 2 months of supplies), thank goodness.

9. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

we change every 4 days (using rapid D or contact D) thou with the stainless steel ones they say every 2 days. Yesterday I realised that we were on day 5 - it was still good as gold and working fine.

How long to they leave a luer(sp?) in at the hospital? Surely that would be about the same, sometimes I wonder if it's just the companies going for the change to increase sales.

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

When I was in the hospital on a saline drip for low fluid with Emma, they said they had to move the IV site every 3 days because of saturation. That's how I knew that the 3 days on the infusion site was reasonable.

11. Traci

Traci Approved members

Ds6 starts running high after 2 1/2 days usually, so we do change out cartridge, tubing, and site every three days--sometimes every two days depending on his numbers. We never go longer than three days. Our endo said mixing old and new was a risk of contamination, so I change out everything when we do a site change.

12. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Everything gets changed out every 3 days here (Inset)

13. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Everything gets changed out every 2 - 2 1/2 days otherwise numbers start to creep up.

We also are contemplating switching from the Cleos to the insets, as we've been seeing more blockage alarms with the Cleos of late.

14. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

nothing is funded by insurance here so I'm going for as long as possible. I had always planned on 4 days because 5 just seems... well... yucky but it won't worry me if it goes another 5 days every once in a while.

Can't remember having my drip thing changed every 3 days so will need to check with a girlfriend. Might also ask her how long some of the things are left in. She wild with some of her stories. I guess I feel a little better with stainless steel. At least I know there's no kinking. I do know of others who can't get more than 2 days and at $18 a site here, that's pretty pricey.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we go 4 days, on average.. although this past month we go no more than 3 days out of every site.. I don't know why.. but for our endo's sake, we change out every 3 days ;)

Time just usually sneaks away from me and if she isn't have problems I just totally forget when I did her last change..

16. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I change my set every 3-4 days. In the hospital, we change IVs every 3 days. Interestingly though, sub-q ports in the hospital only get changed once a week.

17. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We change every three as a rule but have pushed it to 4 on occasion, usually when we realize at midnight Aaron should have done a set change that afternoon, or if he's out at a friend's through the afternoon and overnight and still has good numbers, enough insulin, and a well-stuck set.

18. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Nope, 3 days only here then complete set/reservoir change.

19. 1luckymom

1luckymom Approved members

We change every 3-4 days. I always had trouble remembering the last time we did a set change. So, now we change every Tues and Sat. It's just easier that way for us. Our endo said it was fine and that the every 2-3 days was a way for insurance companies to make $. He told us to watch her #s and skin for irritation, but 3-4 is just fine.