- advertisement -

insulin pump opinions.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ish's daddy, Apr 22, 2007.

1. ish's daddy

ish's daddy Approved members

My son and endo have finally agreed to talk more about the pump.:) I personally have looked at them for about 6 months now, but i wanted my son to ease into the idea. He is 11 years old, and was diagnosed when he was about 9 1/2. lately he has been reading and asking about the pump, and now our endo has given us brochures about the animas and the minimed pumps. Those brochures and websites really pump up the product, but i would like to hear unbiased opinions from people that currently have experience with an individual pump. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated, because i want as much info as i can to make a great decision with my son about this technology.

Thanks again for everyone that takes the time to answer so many questions and to give words of confidence to everyone else.

2. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

3. payam7777777

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
    ; PumpingBooks ;
    ;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
    Kids, Insulin Pumps & You ... A Parent's Guide to Insulin Pump Therapy for Kids
    contact Animas Corporation via email at comments@animascorp.com or call toll free at 1-877-937-7867, extension 1132 and ask for Bill King.

Books for Kids Who Use Pumps at School
    Easy as ABC
    Easy as ABC is free by calling Disetronic at 1-800-280-7801

Putting Your Diabetes on the Pump
    http://store.diabetes.org/products/product.jsp?pcode=4852-01&WTLPromo=PUMPS_onthepump

My Own Book About Pumping (Free)
    http://www.grandmasandy.com/books/ABOUT_PUMPING.pdf

Pumping Insulin
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1884804845/childrenwithdiabA/
    http://www.diabetesnet.com/ishop/product_info.php?products_id=51

Putting Your Patients on the Pump
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1580401481/childrenwithdiabA/

Smart Pumping for People with Diabetes
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1580401252/childrenwithdiabA/

Insulin Pump Therapy Demystified
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1569245088/childrenwithdiabA/

4. payam7777777

; Infusion Set Comparison ;
    Infusion Sets
    http://www.diabetes123.com/pumps/infusionsets.htm

Infusion Sets + Gauge
    http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/infusion_sets.php

Paradigm Supplies - Infusion Sets and Insertion Devices
    http://store.minimed.com/mmStore/ap..._view.event&wlcs_catalog_category_key=IS-PARA

Your Complete Infusion Set Reference Guide From Diabetes Health
    http://www.diabeteshealth.com/media/pdfs/Infusion-Set-Reference-Guide-0506.pdf

5. ish's daddy

Wow!!!! Thank You For Giving Me All Of This Info. I Will Be Reading This Until I Go To Sleep:d

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My son has been very happy with the Cozmo pump from day one. He's been on the Cozmo for just under 4 years. Prior to the Cozmo he had the Disetronic HTronV100 for 8 years which is no longer available, although Roche purchased Disetronic and is now selling the Spirit pump.

7. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

My son is really happy with his pump too, but I think it's important to also know the downsides so you don't think life will suddenly be effortless if you only have this cool bit of technology.

Our CDE sat Aaron down before we ordered our pump and said, "I'm not saying this to be negative, I just don't want you to have an unrealistic idea. The pump is just another way to deliver insulin. You still have to check your blood -- even more often, usually -- you still have to count your carb and think about how much insulin to take (the pump does an initial calculation but it's up to you to factor in if you have phys ed next or need a combo bolus). It doesn't take the hassle out of your life."

That's all true. But it does add flexibility and freedom, which for a kid is a lot!

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think even among parents we aren't completely unbiased cause we all went through the process of picking out a pump and saying no to the other ones.

Animas is great for little kids or those who need a tiny amount of basal cause it has the lowest basal increments - but I doubt that is an issue for you. However it is a good pump for anyone. All of them seem to have a lot technology on the horizon - you might want to keep that in mind as you shop.

9. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

We are on the Animas pump 1250 and love it. The newer one is 2020 and is coming out this month. You might want to check into it if you get the Animas pump. It has a color LCD screen and some new easier screens to program. Also I am told the software is being updated for better communication between the pump and the software program.

You can also listen to my latest podcast regarding pumping...free of course by clicking on my signature link below. Hope it helps.:cwds:

Maria

10. Boo

Boo Approved members

We have just recently started pumping with the minimed 722. It is easy to use, and our adjustment so far has been a breeze for the most part.

Do the research, and choose the pump which seems to have the features that you and your son desire. I think that any of the 3 main pumps (Minimed, Animas and Cozmore) would be a safe choice, and some people seem to really like the Omnipod as well.

As Hollyb noted, it is just another way to deliver insulin. The pump still requires dedication to regular blood sugar testing, general diabetes maintenance and troubleshooting. Go into pumping prepared, and with realistic expectations (you will still see highs and lows, etc.).

It makes life a bit easier in many ways, but it doesn't take away the fact that diabetes exists in your family.

11. ish's daddy

Thank you all very much for your input!!:D

12. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

The pumps are all very good and the differences are as much nuance as anything. Our son was about the same age at Dx and moving to pump. He called the shots in what to get based on how he felt about pushing the buttons.

Sets are a big issue that the sales people kinds like to skip over, not as cool as a shiny pump and they have big old needles sticking out of them. That is never a selling feature anyway you look at it.

But set are what they wear 24/7. I am all for giving them and putting them on a test drive.

We use Unimedical Insets. They come with an inserter built into packaging.

YDMV (Your diabetes may vary) Shop around.

Best part for the kids is flexibility in the eating program, best thing for dad's is controlling BG through growth spurts.

Worst part is testing basal overnight. If the insurance co sill cover it the minimed cgm is a beautiful thing.

13. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Here are the main differences in the pumps:

Minimed is the leader in technology. They are the only ones with the real-time CGMS integrated in the pump. The issue I have with Minimed is that you have to use their specific brand of infusion sets. They do have several to choose from, though.

Animas can deliver the smallest basal rate of .025units/hour. Many people with very young children need the small basal rates.

Cozmo has the most customizable pump. You customize almost anything on this pump. Ours switches from a weekend basal rate to a weekday basal automatically. It also has a food/nutrition database on the pump.

Other than those big things I mentioned, they are all very very reliable pumps.

BTW -- how's Wichita? I grew up there and all my family still lives there :)

14. Noel

Noel Approved members

Aidan just got a new pump after pumping 5 years with Animas it was time for an upgrade to take advantage of newer technology. I had a really tough time deciding which pump we would go with. Finally I decided on the Minimed 722, there were several features I like on all of the top 3 out there. (my husband left the choice up to me....he felt that he could deal with any of the 3 but wanted me to have the 1 that I was the most comfortable with.)

I assumed that we would go with the Animas b/c that was the one that we were already on, but in the end I went with Minimed....(although there were some features of the Cosmo that I REALLY like) my main reason was the service I received from Minimed. The took the time to explain everything to me and guaranteed delivery by the date I needed. Also this makes Aidan and my husband on the same pump which is beneficial for all of us.

I think that any of the 3, Minimed, Animas, and Cosmo are excellant choices, it all comes down to what features you like, and the service you receive.

15. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

Since your son is old enough to influence the decision, I'd recommend checking with the major pump companies and see if you can get some demos of the different pumps set up, or see if your CDE has some to show, when you are ready. All the pumps have the major important features available(bolus calulators, ability to set ratios, extended bolus, etc). It wouldn't hurt to let him play with them and see what he wants, since he is old enough and will be the one utilizing it most. He has to be comfortable with the pump the both of you choose. The Cosmo and Animas have the food databases, which are customizable, the Animas is water proof, the Minimed has the CGMS, the both of you have to decide if one of those factors(there are other bells and whistle to choose from, just naming a few) that might be something that you definitely want.

16. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

That's exactly what we did. Our Endo's office has samples and loaners they keep. Emily wore a Cozmore and a Minimed with saline prior to choosing. She felt the Cozmore was easier to work, so that's what we went with. We are very happy with it, and she can work it independantly. But any of the "big 3" are good choices.

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

kaylee's been pumping with the minimed 522 for almost a year.. we've had our fair share of troubles of one form or another.. all the pumps are great but we went with the minimed because of the CGMS that they have and they just seem to be furthar along with some things.. not to say the other companies are not good.. we just love the minimed, their costumer service is excellent.. we've had serveral new pumps and they've always replaced them without a problem, no questions.. if they can't figure out the issue they send out a new one, they'd rather be safe than 'sorry'.. as your son is older (kaylee is only 4) maybe gather info with him and see which one he likes since he's going to be the one wearing it 24/7 and most likely doing most of the controls.. your endo's office should have examples of all the pumps so you can play with them to make a better choice.. the companies are trying to make them 'fun' but making them available in different colors, have 'skins' to change them up.. the above links are great.. I remember shopping around for a pump this time last year, and my head was just spinning from all the info.. they all have the 'basic' features, they all work the same, but some have other 'special' things that draw people to their pump..for us, it was the CGMS:)

good luck, I'm sure that you be happy with which ever one you chose.. I have not heard on complaint about any of the three major companies, mm, animas and cozmo:)

18. ish's daddy

Thak you all for your inputs. My son is going to be the ultimate decider, and we have a demonstration of the minimed coming up soon. That is the one he commented on as his first choice, so we will give that one a try first.

BTW BrendaK, Wichita is nice. We were in Anchorage prior to Wichita, and it is a welcome change. We were referred to a great ENDO staff, and have had no problems so far.(Keeping fingers crossed)

19. rlmcjunk

rlmcjunk Approved members

I did alot of looking around and finally went with the Minimed. The pump seams to work good and I called them about my sons LED display with a large scratch on it and the just sent out a new pump and had it in 1 day. Great service. I am in the middle of a problem right now and not sure if the pump is the problem but if it is I am sure getting another is not going to be a problem.

20. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

My daughter was also dx at 9.5, it's exactly one year now. I started her on the pump last September. We were allowed to choose any one we wanted and I was pretty sure I'd go with MM. I did research and they all seemed about the same to me (great). I narrowed it down to Animas and MM and had both reps come out. The service and feeling I got from the Animas rep here was far superior to the MM one. Plus I wore both the sites and, to me, I found the Inset (Animas) to be more comfortable. I didn't really care that Animas delivered the smallest basal rates since my daughter was older - but it turned out she's very sensitive to insulin so I feel fortunate to have selected Animas. They have a .025 basal rate and sometimes when I up her basal by just that much she'll go low for day or two until her body adjusts.

The Animas is fully waterproof. Is the smallest pump with the largest screen. The battery lasts a really long time - I think I went 2 mths on the last one. It's a snap to learn (but I think they all are) and the customer service is phenominal. They gave us a pump nurse and she stayed with a few months. I've been very happy with Animas - I only wish the CGMS available with MM (to talk to the pump) was an option too but I did read Animas is working on one also. In 3.5 years when the warranty is up I will shop around again.

It's going to be a great experience for your son at that age - my daughter picked up the basics in 5 seconds. She can do just about everything on the pump on her own except the site changes. All the pumps are fabulous from what I hear so I don't think you can choose a bad one.