- advertisement -

insulin pens

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Oct 13, 2011.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

My daughter has been using the syringes for over 5 years now, and she would like to try using the pens. What have been your experience in using them?? Would like to know before her next appt. with endo. next month. Thanks everyone

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

When my son was on MDI, we found the pens much more convenient to take with us on the go. However, he preferred Lantus through the syringe. As a matter of fact, I have 5 boxes of Lantus pens sitting in the fridge that I don't know what to do with.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Shirley, Steven uses Lantus in a vial and the Humapen Luxura for humolog. Its made my Lilly. It uses the cartridges that you insert and use for 30 days then put in a new one. We use the 5mm 31 gauge pen needles for this. Steven really prefers the humolog in the pen as do we. We can do his shots anywhere and no one even notices. We usually use back of arm or thigh for fast acting insulin shots.

4. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We also preferred Lantus through the syringe but used the pen for Novolog ... which was much easier to use on the go.

5. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

We have been on pens since day 1 so I can't compare the 2. We really like the pens. We feel they are convenient to carry around and for giving shots under the table a restaurants and that type stuff. We feel pens are less intimidating to others, she has been invited to go places with friends and when the parents show up to see how to care for her they have all been like "cool we can do that..we thought it was going to be hard but that's easy" not sure if I would get the same response with a regular syringe. It is also easy for her to give herself shots with the pen, makes her feel independent when she wants to be.

Only problems we have run into is sometimes we have "leak back" not very often now but at first we did and our pens don't have 1/2 units... I'm going to talk to the Endo about this at the next apt.

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We use the lantus solostR pens and the Novopen 3. We started using pens as soon as they took him off the IV, and that's all we've ever used. He likes them, because they're easy to use and they're not very obvious when he's at school or out in public. We use the BD mini (5mm) pen needles with them.

7. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

We really like the pens. To me, they were less scary than syringes, initially. We like the portability and the ease of dialing a dose. Hudson has used the Lantus SoloStar and the Humalog pre-filled as well as the Luxura (takes cartridges). The Luxura can do half units, so we are switching back to that. Sometimes Hudson uses a syringe and draws from a pen, just to switch it up LOL.

Overall, a positive experience.

8. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We use the pens and I really like them. We started with the shots from the pens since we had found a coupon for 5 free pens. We really like it right now

9. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

So far I haven't been happy with it...we were practicing for use at school...it seemed bulky and harder to use...and it seemed I wasn't getting all the insulin in....so right now I'm back to syringe use( i was just using it at dinner), eventually we may graduate to it.. Oh We are using the novolog jr with half dosing..

10. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

My son's needles are short 8mm..I see some of you use 5mm....which means they are longer? shorter? I read about the nano needles to try...and nurse said we could, but usually those are for younger patients....so what is difference between 8 and 5mmm then?

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

LOVE the pens!:D:cwds:

12. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

we did the same.:)

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

5mm needles are 5 millimeters. 8mm needles are 8 millimeters.

We hated the pens. They were bulky, hard to hold, always gave us leakback, and my son HATED that we were supposed to hold the needle in for a 10 count. Also, we couldn't do just a half unit or do quarter units at all.

Not pen fans here.

14. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

5 is shorter than 8...... We use the 4mm 32ga nano and DD is 11

15. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

We use Lantus Solostar disposable pens and NovoPen Jr. reusable pens with cartridges. Connor gets whole units of Lantus, so the Solostar works well for us. I like that we can be more precise with 1/2 units using the NovoPen Jr. I also like the weight of the NovoPen because I have a hand tremor. It helps me to give injections without skimming across the surface of Connor's skin. My DH gives Lantus to Connor, so the weight of a pen is not an issue for him. We've used the vial and syringe for Lantus before switching to the SoloStar. I prefer the pens.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

Is 5 inches shorter then 8 inches?

And we LOVED pens!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  17. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We are not a fan of the pens. My son could not stand that they had to be held in for 10 seconds. The leakback was also a problem. There were times when I needed to draw up 1/4 or 1/2 unit and the pen does not do that. The novolog jr pen starts at 1 unit and then you can move to 1/2 units. They were also so big and bulky. I know exactly how much he is getting with a syringe. I draw it up and shoot it in! All a very short and simple process. Every now and then we give the pen another chance but my son likes the syringes better.

18. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

We just switched to using pens for novolog (jr.) because of school, we like it. He's older so we don't need .25 units like we used to and he always needs at least 1 unit to start out with. It scared him at first. We also get more stares in public with it, I thought it would be the opposite but I think people are wondering why we stick a writing pen in his arm lol.

19. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Sophie uses Levimer FlexPen, and the Humalog Kwikpen with the nano needles. We love them, but they were hard to get used to.

20. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

The nanos are for everyone!!! They hurt way less. One tip, though, is to count to 10 after you've pushed in the plunger before you take the needle out. Once we religiously did that, we got the same effect as with the syringes. Also, no need to pinch the skin with the shorter needles.