advertisement

Insulin needs still dropping...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, May 1, 2010.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

...and dropping.

Feels like a honeymoon of sorts! 3 years into the dx.. ;) Unlikely.

In the past 4 days my basal insulin doses have decreased from 19U per day to circa 7U per day and my I:C lowered from 1:9 to 1:13, and I'm still having lows after meals! The low treatment tends to work quickly and take me up to 140 or so, but then I drop straight back down to the 60s. I'm eating about 70g more carbs than usual per day, and my average TDD has been cut in half. :eek:

I've only been over 150 once this week. My average BG is 104, which looks beautiful on paper but is completely due to the insane number of lows. I thought this was due to the warmer weather but my gosh, the drop in insulin needs has absolutely never been this extreme before.

I'm giving in and emailing the endo.

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I hope you get some answers, that has to be completely frustrating trying to figure out daily.

3. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Have you heard back from the endo yet?

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I doubt she'll reply until at least Monday.. Perhaps Tuesday. It's not particularly urgent so I don't mind; I've got the CGMS and I've got things under control. I'm more interested in whether this could be related to my thyroid, because I read in "Pumping Insulin" that an underactive thyroid can cause low BGs.

5. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Em, I think it's urgent, what if you didn't have a CGMS?
    Can't you call her?
    Have you been checked for celiac?
    Regarding "pumping Insulin" I have that book, I need to go back and read that.
    L's TSH is almost 12 and she has been having lows during play the last week.
    Do you know what chapter you read that in? If not, don't worry,I'll find it!

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I could call her, but things are okay. There's nothing she can do anyway, so I don't want to disturb her weekend; I haven't been below 40 and the CGMS is accurate. I was checked for celiac around 2 years ago and everything was fine, and I don't have any symptoms.

Chapter 14, page 169 if I remember correctly. It's interesting, because I had always assumed that underactive thyroid would cause high BGs. I suppose it's different between people, though..

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Thank you, going to read it now..
    Don't worry about disturbing her on the weekend, I mean, she wouldn't be an endo if she didn't think she would be bothered on weekends.

Keep us informed this weekend, I really wish you would call the endo now

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Don't worry about me! My mom knows what's going on, and I'm not home alone or anything; I'm completely safe. Just full. ;)

9. buggle

buggle Approved members

This is the usual mode for us. Brendan's TDD ranges from 9 to 26 units with sudden changes. Without a CGM, it would be very difficult and dangerous for him. Our endo says that some people have a relapsing/remitting form of diabetes. Your diabetes-causing T cells are probably not working very well right now and your beta cells are perking up. What we find is that the low insulin usage lasts for a while, but then it seems to signal the T cells and they come back and slam the beta cells and suddenly Brendan runs super high and we have to increase insulin dramatically. We have the max number of basal programs set and we just react as things change. Our doc says there's not much else we can do.

So watch closely and respond. Don't be afraid to reduce your insulin even more. If you run high, you can always correct. It's nerve-wracking, I know.

At the end of the day, add up your carbs and TDD and try to figure out what ratio and basal you had for today. That's what we did at first at the end of every day. Now, we're so used to it, that we just change basals as things happen -- it's not uncommon for us to double for triple from one day to the next -- either up or down, depending on what's going on.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's funny, because I'm used to having sudden basal changes within a day (i.e. for a few hours I might need 4u/h, or I might only need 0.05u/h for part of a day), but usually either I have a bizarrely high or low TDD for one day only and then everything gets back to normal, OR the high/low basals average out and I end up with a "normal" TDD.

What I'm not used to is having it drop in a regular fashion for several days in a row! I'm used to making changes by the hour, but I'm not used to having to keep them there for days, if that makes sense..

Anyway, I actually had a small high (185) yesterday after pizza, so I think my I:C is okay for now, and last night I ran a little higher than I like for overnight (around 130) so I think things might have stabilised. Crossing my fingers, anyway.