- advertisement -

Insulet will not failed pod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vettechmomof2, Jan 14, 2010.

1. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

They will not replace any failed pod now that has been worn more than 24 hours now.
    This is for ANY failure.

We just had a static alarm failure on a pod that has been worn for about 48 hours and they will not replace it.
    C.S. also stated that this has been the case for a few months now. Being that we so rarely have failures I was unaware of this.

Anyway, just FYI for others in case this happens to you.

Allene

aorry for title typo but I am irked!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I don't use it ,but that can get expensive!
    I would be irked too!

3. moco89

moco89 Approved members

That is a horrible customer service policy.

There are too many things that can go wrong with these devices, and people should be protected, or at least compensated, for these defects.

The lack of a full warranty and backing of this medical device, also can hinder the need for the company to reconsider its design process. For example, the static electricity issue could be resolved by using materials that protect against the sudden transfer of charge.

It also brings questions of the overall quality of this device! To suddenly change a replacement policy due to failures suggests to me that they either get

1. Way too many failures
    2. Losing too much money to back their customers issues

My bet is that the underlying issue is a combination of these two problems.

I was thinking of getting a batch of pods, but issues like this make me even more leery. FYI, I would of totally tried to talk to a supervisor in this sort of case, and I would remind them that you will post this information online for "prospective customers". Their policy is not right!

4. buggle

buggle Approved members

We've had a couple pods fail later on and they replaced them. I wonder if it were just this person at customer service. I'd try calling again at another time and try to get another person.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

They may be trying to push it onto third party payers. We have a prescription for a pod every 2 days. This accounts for mistakes, failures, and other calamities. We can hold a shipment if we are getting ahead. The new policy would be bad if you were paying OOP.

Chuck

6. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

No way, I wonder why.

7. vettechmomof2

I did call back and spoke with the only sup. who was on after hours call and spoke with 3 other reps. They all stated that this is now their policy.

They states that since Oct. of 2009 their policy is that if a pod is worn for over 24 hours then under no circumstances are they to replace it for any failure reason. THey will mark it up in the history so that if you run out early from your shipmentn then they will send you one earlier but you still pay for it.
    I understand what we can do to over ride this but it is something that they could have either 1) informed us of or 2) even better, not changed it.

I also do understand their reasoning behind a lot of their changes regarding payment and so forth and do not have issues with those but for a failed pod that was not our fault or occlusion related issues I do have a problem with.

8. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I don't know about you, but every single pod failure I've had been before 24 hours, you know. It's an astounding coincidence they are all at 23:59:59, isn't it?

9. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

We have had two pod failures this week. I did not call them in. I did not realize that there is a place that I can look to see how long the pod has been on for. Could you please tell me where I should look to see if it is under the 24 hour period?

10. saxmaniac

I suppose it would be in the history. You have the pod activations in the logs, just subtract.

11. vettechmomof2

exactly :D

12. vettechmomof2

I have never looked for a time, we go with a hand written log for times.

13. Toni

Toni Banned

Well, if you send it back with a complaint Pod failed in eight hours, can they tell if it failed in eight vs. 24? Because I guess if I had a failed pod, I would just say it failed at the eight-hour mark. If they advertise a Pod lasts three days, they should support their product. I understand the Pods are much more expensive than sets. And I suppose you are also out the insulin?

14. saxmaniac

Sure they could tell, but are they going to? FIrst, they send you the new one before you send the old one back, since the new pod comes in a box with the return mailer.

Once they get the old pod, I doubt they have someone who hooks the pod to a computer to make sure it's 23:59:59 and not 24:00:00 and then bill you accordingly. They probably just stick it in a big bucket of failed pods, and then analyze them later. If ever.

True, they are bit more expensive than sets, but that's comparing apples to bricks. You don't have to buy a $6000 pump in the first place.

15. Toni

Toni Banned

Well, then it makes much more sense to go with the failure at the 23 and a half hour mark, rather than the eight hour. Just in case.......

16. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Interesting, I would be very annoyed if we paid out of pocket.

We are fortunate that our insurance covers Pod's 100%. I have a script for every two days too, this helps for the few failures we had.