- advertisement -

Inserting infusion on own??

Discussion in 'Kids' started by NHL-go-pens, May 3, 2011.

1. NHL-go-pens

NHL-go-pens Approved members

I'm nervous to do this. I'm scares I'll screw up or something. I think it will hurt more. Are there any tips for inserting it on your own ????

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Oh - you are very brave to have a go. It will be great when you do though - you will be much more independent. Count down. Get it ready and go 1, 2, 3 ping. It will hurt less because you will know exactly where to put it.

Write as soon as you have done it! We will be very proud of you.:) (Even if other people don't get - we do!)

3. mocha

mocha Approved members

I remember doing my first infusion set on my own. I was pretty terrified.

One thing that has really helped me was getting some good music, putting in my headphones, and listening to something to calm me down. Then while the music was going, I'd take a couple of good deep breaths and then press the button.

It's still scary the first few times, but I can promise it doesn't hurt any worse than when someone else does it. In fact, you'll end up better at putting in your own infusion sites than everyone else in no time!

4. rebeca322

rebeca322 Approved members

I just did my first change on my own on Saturday, I was terrified that I would do something wrong. But I didn't I had instruction sheets I followed and it was a piece of cake.

You will do great!!!
    Becca :)

5. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Cool Becca! :D

6. NHL-go-pens

NHL-go-pens Approved members

I don't change out till Saturday so maybe I'll try it. I'm just get really nervous sometimes

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

The first time you do most anything is a bit scary. After that first one, you'll be like, "What was the big deal??" You'll do great!

8. josmom

josmom Approved members

It is always kind of scary at first! But I think it hurts less when I put it in! Good Luck!!!:D

9. HumanWaffle

HumanWaffle Approved members

I remember my first one also, it was after several changes, since I was so freaked out. But my mom persuaded me to finally try, it wasn't all that bad! Did you know it works just fine through your clothes? I've never tried shorts, but I know they go straight through jeans.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

How on earth could you insert an infusion set through clothes? The adhesive would be stuck to the clothing! Am I misunderstanding what you're trying to say?

11. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I was wondering that myself.
    J just inserted a set on me this morning so he can get the "feel" of doing it. I'm working with him to be able to do his own sets. He was able to give his own shots, so I'm hoping he will be able to do his own sets with practice and encouragement.

A great big thanks to Paulla for sending me those extra sets!

Next site change, I plan for J to do all the prep work then I will "pull the trigger" so to speak.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just wanted to say, I think it's awesome that you let him practice on you. :) I remember how freaked out I was when I had to insert my first infusion set. I was 15, so a bit older than J, but it was only my second ever infusion set (the first one had been inserted at the hospital for my pump start) so I had very little experience of someone else doing it for me, KWIM? Anyway, I remember sitting in my room for about half an hour before I had the courage to push the buttons in on the inserter. :p

To everyone who is just doing their first insertion, I promise that in a few weeks you'll be doing it in your sleep. Once you've got the routine down, it really isn't as big of a deal as it is the first few times.

13. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Thanks Emma :) It' a work in progress, getting him through the anxiety - he had a hard time "pulling the trigger" on me, even. I was kind of surprised by that, but it help me see how anxious he really is about it, bless his heart.

I wish his first insertion had been at the hospital - you are so lucky you got to start pumping at dx! Or am I reading that wrong, and you just started your pump at hospital?

Did you have any issues with that first one you inserted sticking since it took you half an hour to do the insert? I'm always afraid the adhesive will dry out or something when it takes J forever to get ready for me to insert on him.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sorry, I didn't start my pump at dx, it was a year later. I just had a hospital appointment for my pump start. :)

I'm not entirely sure how sticky the adhesive was, since I only kept that site on for a day. My saline trial was 3 days, and this insertion was on the 2nd day of the saline, so the next day (when I started on insulin) I had to put a new site in. They had just wanted me to make sure I could insert it myself whilst I was still on saline and before it really mattered. It did stick fine for that day, though.

15. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I started pumping at my hospital

16. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

I've never really noticed a difference in pain when I do it or wen my mom does it, but I think looking away helps, just make sure u hav the inset in place b4 looking away. Once uve done it the first time, u won't hav any problems later.