- advertisement -

insensitively titled posts not appreciated

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Sorry for chiming in late, but I'm in Chicago at our Focus on Technology Conference.

I will presume that the thread in question was related to the tragic death from DKA of a young girl. Unfortunately, that is much more common than most of us realize. Several times each year I am contacted by a family who has lost a child at diagnosis due to DKA. It is beyond sad.

As our kids get older, they must understand that DKA is extremely dangerous. For parents, we too need to understand this, expecially if our kids pump, as they have no long acting insulin on board in case of a pump failure.

As I noted in that original thread, this is an opportunity to teach our kids something vital, and also to try to make a difference in our communities by sharing the posters from the IDF on the symptoms of type 1 diabetes. That program has been proven to reduce the incidence of DKA at diagnosis in two countries and is well worth the few minutes of your time to download, print, and share the posters at schools near you.

If we can save even one family from the needless loss of a child at diagnosis, this is all worthwhile.

The free posters are online at:
    http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/the-campaign/diabetes-and-children/dka-awareness

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

I'm not bothered by any topic here. I just can't stand when everyone starts talking about leaving and people feel unwelcome and hurt.

I've always been a peace-maker, so that's my only intent.

3. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Love the posters !! Thanks Jeff. I'm going to see if my pediatrician will put them up on his message boards in the patients rooms. If I can figure out the best way to print them.

4. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Also, several of us teens come here to ask questions if we don't think the others can answer them.

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

This really has taught me this Karen so I do appreciate that, and I am sorry any children were upset by this whole ordeal. I hope you can see that the poster totally could have good intentions in making this post an intention that was not inflammatory or upsetting in nature. It is sad to me for a person who is here in our community to feel misunderstood. I suspect this person is here no longer now. :cwds:

6. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

OOPS, sorry Susan but it's been a busy day. :eek:

7. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I can understand how it's upsetting to children. I thought that when I saw the post so made sure not to leave CWD up my screen up in case Lia sat down and saw it.

That said, I do think this info needs to be out there for parents who may not know and who are just searching online. I also think there needs to be more awareness among the general public. It would definitely be nice if we could all agree to not put scary stuff in th thread titles. BUT while we may agree to that, there's nothing stopping any new/infrequent posters who aren't aware of our informal rules from doing so.

Of course I feel bad for the kids who were upset. Lia would be very upset if she read that I'm sure. No doubt about it.

But at the same time I'm sure hoping the OP on that thread has somehow missed all the debate about her thread. I know if it were me I would probably be scared away! And no parent of a CWD should feel that way. This board is a place of invaluable support to most of us. And I want everyone to have that if needed.

8. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Laurie, I can see that absolutely - which is why I asked politiely to have it changed and explained the reason. The new OP may not know kids would see this. I totally understand it. In fact that was all I posted on the topic until I offered support for Wilf as sadly we were experiencing a similar situation here.

I'm frankly incredulous that asking people to be mindful of the titles they choose can be construed as harming this community and warranting comments in another thread that I should be slapped for even suggesting it. Frankly I think that is the kind of vitriolic garbage that truly harms a community.

9. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I'm with the other posters who said about this part of the forum being for parents. I never thought of children reading the parents list. Phillip goes on the site occasionally, but only in the parents forum. I wouldn't want him reading the parents forum, and maybe coming across a post where I've vented about his numbers or something like that. This forum is title PARENTS of CWD. There is a children's section. I haven't even read the post this is talking about, but I get the idea from this thread.

10. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Wilf I think many of us have learned here now that kids are reading the parents section. I know I will be sensitive to this. This has been actually a new insight for me - and I might guess anew insight for others as well - as unbelievable as that may be to you and others who have posted. I sincerely mean that, and I hope we can continue to be supportive of one another. :cwds::cwds:

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Darryl, my intent on showing that she only had 5 posts was NOT to say that she didn't have experiance with D. Someone thought it was a long time poster that started the thread. I also don't think the info shouldn't be posted, just that some sort of warning would be nice. Someone with 5 posts wouldn't realize that this had been discussed before.... If I had come across that article, I would probably want to vent about it too:( I know that when I found this site, I was very upset about something too. That's all I meant.:cwds:

12. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I thought this was for Parents of Children With Type 1. Why must there always be a public bashing? We parents have few people to turn to who "get it" and we need a place to share without having every post dissected. All the time I was trying to keep ugly and frightening facts from my 9 year old, her friends and news broadcasts were talking about her getting her legs "cut off" or going into a coma and dying. Now I'm starting to ramble.

13. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

Hello
    I havent been on here in ages so Im guessing the post in question was deleted, but Im curious...what did it say? Of course you dont have to post it on here so's to avoid the same issue, maybe PM it to me?

14. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

This is my point, sort of. Our kids have a nasty disease that can lead to some terrible consequences. They are going to learn about those consequences whether we like it or not, here on CWD, or elsewhere. I truly think it is best to try to have open conversations with them at an age appropriate level to help prepare them to cope with the "scary" information they will ultimately read and hear. It's kind of like talking to your kids about drugs (illegal drugs)---it's not pleasant, and we would rather they never heard it, but they're going to hear about them anyway and it's much better if it comes from us first.

We took Reese with a big group or friends and family to the Leukemia, Lymphoma Society's Light the Night last fall just after he finished treatment and was officially "in remission". The speaker was a teenager whose lymphoma "had returned" which she shared with the crowd in her speech. She was headed for a bone marrow transplant. Reese looked up at me and said "Mom! her cancer returned?!" Here he was, believing that he had "defeated" cancer (his words), only to learn that it sometimes comes back and is even harder to "defeat". But how could I be upset that he learned the truth?...I just had to learn how to talk to him about it. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do as a parent. I had to learn to be very honest, but with the right touch, and the right age-appropriateness to help him filter the information about his diseases that he cannot (and probably should not) be sheltered from.

15. Rick

Rick Approved members

16. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

Well I can certainly understand how the title scared that child, hell im an adult and it scared me, but what a sad story. Granted we regularly check our 2 other children, but after drying my eyes from that story i made them go wash their hands and check their blood on Jacob's meter.
    It truely is a tragedy and my heart goes out to that mother. :(

17. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I just read that article. I wasnt going to but I did. All I can say is WOW. How scary that is that it can happen so suddenly. My heart goes out to her mother and family.

I also noticed that there was a link at the end to go to to learn about T1. Good move on the reporters part, Id say. Ive read other articles that never mention where you can go to learn more about T1.

18. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Wilf,
    I'm really sorry that your DD saw that title of the post. I haven't logged on to CWD as much as I used to because as much as I love CWD, and as much as I feel it contributes so much to the diabetic community, I do get a bit depressed being here. I sometimes have to take a hiatus from CWD, but I would be very upset if you took a permanent hiatus. You are a very important member of this cyber community.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  19. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Ditto (message too short)

20. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I just read all of these posts. I agree, this is an adult forum. If people are concerned that their children accidently read upsetting things related to D (which I for one am) don't let your kids use the computer without supervision. I watch my daughter log into Webkinz and Club Penquin to make sure she's not inadvertently getting an "adult" site, or something equally as inappropriate.

I would feel bad if anyones kids was upset, but honestly, I don't think we adults should have to edit our concerns and thoughts because of kids reading it. It's a pain to monitor our children, but if you feel strongly about them not reading something, you make sure it happens (or doesn't....)