- advertisement -

Infusion site out and ketones in under 75 minutes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ellie'sMama, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Ellie'sMama

Ellie'sMama Approved members

Yesterday I took my little girl for a hamburger and then she had a few little cookies and milk when we got home. Her BG was 8.9 before the burger at the restaurant so I boluses her appropriately and then enjoyed our dinner out. I didn't check her again for the cookies and milk at home as it was only an hour after the dinner bolus so I just did a straight bolus to cover the carbs.
    For no reason other than intuition I decided to check her BG a little while later (an hour and fifteen minutes after the dinner bolus) and her BG was 28.7!!! Lifted her shirt and saw that the infusion site was out. I got a new infusion set in and bolused her for the previous meal and snack. Checked for blood ketones and she was 1.4! I was surprised how quickly the ketones had accumulated. She was back in range and had cleared the ketones by 3 hours later but it was quite an experience to find out how very quickly things can go badly without the insulin.
    It also reinforces our belief to check her frequently no matter what the endocrinologists say about only needing to check a few times a day. If I hadn't randomly checked her at that time she could have been VERY I'll by bedtime snack time.

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Glad it all worked out well in the end:cwds: I agree, it is very scary how quickly things go downhill when they are not getting any insulin:(

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Glad it worked out.
    We had something similar the other day. It scares me to think how quickly things can go downhill for her:(
    And I agree, this is why it is so important to check frequently.

4. Leece

Leece Approved members

My DD gets ketones very fast too. We check her quite often and check ketones when she is on the higher than I think she should be range.

My latest mistake was forgetting to prime the tubing. Nothing like a BG of 26.0 to make you go hmmm at 0030 in the morning.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

wow that's scary. Glad you discovered the site problem when you did.

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Great that you checked and were able to address the issue, which resolved. I'm curious, though, about your statement that endos say only check a few times a day ... our endo was always adamant that if we were pumping, we'd be checking a lot more than when we were on MDI.