- advertisement -

Infusion sets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Dec 15, 2011.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

OK so I am waiting on a call to set up getting the onetouch ping pump for my son. I will need to know color etc.. but more importantly what kind of infusion sets I want!! HELP!! I dont know what would be the best. He is just about 3 years old. He is not super skinny, but not fatty either. He is just solid. Ive heard a lot of talk about steel sets? Can someone explain the dfference between all of them and maybe personal experience on what works best with the little ones? Angled or straight on etc...???

Also... I ordered him a spibelt and got it in the mail yesterday and its too big. Does anyone know another good make that makes them a little bit smaller? There is one on the animas site, that I might end up getting if I cant find anything else. I know people are recommending the Too Sweet Boutique, but they arent taking anymore orders for a few weeks.

2. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

My son is thin and got his pump at age 4. Based on his body type our endo suggested the Inset 30 angled set. In various discussions with them they have said that they recommend those or the Contact Detach (steel) sets for skinny kids and infants/toddlers.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We have the steel set with the Revel (like the Contact-Detach), and we love them. No fear of kinking, reduced fear of insulin delivery problems, no machinery needed to insert them. My skinny 3 year old wears them in his tush, but he has had them on his arms and thighs without a problem.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

In the past spibelt has made my daughter custom belts. They are wonderful people to work with. Maybe they would be willing to make a smaller belt for him if you gave them his measurements.

5. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We just started pumping a month ago and we used the inset 30's. Except for a few bent cannula's, we've been very happpy with them.

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Sorry--just read the second half of your message.

Before you do anything else, measure the SPIbelt!

The kids' size--which I assume you bought--can be adjusted to 18" (they say 16", so maybe ours has stretched a bit), which is too small to fit around my 20-month-old DD (and she is at the 10th percentile for weight) and fits snugly around my fairly-trim thigh! My DS, who is skinny and small for 3.5 years old, wears his about half-way between smallest adjustment and largest adjustment.

We had a problem two months ago with the company sending us the adult-sized belts marked as kid-sized. Those did not fit him! We had to send three pairs of belts back before they got it right, but they were very helpful (and they sent us a free belt for our inconvenience)!

Good luck!

7. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

we really like the contact detach. Olivia is very trim and she does not mind wearing them at all.

8. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

My son started pumping with the Animas Ping when he was 4. We started out with the steel set (Contact Detach) because the Animas rep thought it would be good for his age. This did go well for a while, but my son experienced a lot of pain with them during dosing. We switched to the Insets (spring loaded and straight in) and we've been very happy with them. When we got the pump we also got several different infusion sets to try out. We did order the Insets 1st b/c we thought we'd be using them, but at pump start we started with Contact Detach. I just called and ordered them and our insurance covered it, so we hung onto the Insets. We've never tried the angled ones, but I've heard great things about them too. One thing I liked about the contact detach was that you never had to worry about a kink in the cannula, but we have not had much trouble with the insets. We worked directly with a rep from Animas and she brought samples of all the different infusion sets prior to our pump start, so that was a great way to see all that was available and how they worked.

We also use the spi-belt and were able to adjust it to his size. We love them!

9. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

thanks everyone for their feedback!

As for the spibelt... i measured it, and it is an adult size! I thought it was odd that everyone said they fit their toddlers and this was huge on my little boy! They are shipping out a kids one tomorrow. Im glad im doing all of this before he actually gets the pump!

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

You are a wonderful girl scout!

11. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

tummitotes

My son is super skinny too. The spibelts fall off of him. We used the belts from pumptastic - these are smaller and in cute designs. NOW we switched to a tummitote - it fits under the shirt and keeps the pump much more out of the way.I totally prefer this now that we have been using it for several months.

The lady at tummitotes personalized my son's belt with Boston Red Sox patches - so she can make it special for you if you want.

12. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Yay! I'm glad you got that one figured out! You are not the first person to say the belt was too large, and I thought that people who were posting with that problem were nuts until we had the problem with mislabelled belts ourselves. Luckily, we already had kids' belts on hand, so I knew something was wrong!

Happy pumping!

13. jamierb

jamierb Approved members

My petite, 48 lb 8 year old wears the inset 30 & works great. Her backside is the only place to put it because it's the only place she has padding. Most of her insets last almost 3 days. There are some areas on her body where it won't last as long so with experience I've figured out the best places to put it. It's important to make sure you are also putting the inset in correctly, most importantly at the right angle. In terms of pump packs, I've only bought from Pump Wear & have no probs with fitting. She prefers to wear her pouch clipped to her pants. We bought a clip from Animas & a special pouch made just for the clip. They only have a couple & I'd like another one so they are making one from a fabric I picked out on their website.

14. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Ds started pumping with the ping at 2. We use the inset 30. We haven't had any problems with them.