- advertisement -

Infusion Sets/Sites/Issues

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Amber85, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Amber85

Amber85 New Member

Hello everyone,

I have been pumping since 1985. This however is not the issue. The issue is with my infusion sites. After about a day or two the site becomes painful and when I remove my set there is a hard "bump" beneath my skin. It usually takes about a week to ten days to completely vanish. Also the insulin burns or more like stings like crazy while going in on a bolus. It seems to occur no matter where my site is placed. I am usually forced to do a half hour square wave to space it out more. Does anyone have any ideas.

To give you an idea I am about 5'8" and weigh around 127-133. I have very little body fat.

I currently use the quick-set 6mm for my paradigm pump.

Thanks for the advice,
    Ali

2. Gina_NoahsMom

Gina_NoahsMom Approved members

Hi, I don't know the Paradigm, so forgive me for my questions :cwds: Are there 9mm sets (instead of 6mm)? If so, have you tried them? You can maybe talk to your endo about that, maybe it's not deep enough into the skin. I gather that this is a straight-in set, have you tried angled sets?

Good luck!!

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

How is your rotation? You've been pumping a long time. Could it be that you need to pick an entire section of your body and give it a break for maybe 3 months, and then choose another. I would venture a guess that scar tissue has built up. The advice of the 9mm instead of the 6mm might work - if there's scar tissue perhaps you can get below it with the longer cannula. Or, maybe an angled in will go into your tissues at a different angle

4. flipflopmom

flipflopmom New Member

my DD is very lean and athletic. She has always used the Minimed Sure T infusion sets. The cannula doesn't go under the skin with these sets, it has a small needle that stays under the skin. In nearly 3 years we haven't had any infected sites and there is no obvious scar tissue. She usually wears her site on her bottom. A friend's daughter tried the sets with the cannula's under the skin and had painful sites and scar tissue so bad they stopped the pump. After a while they tried again with the sure T and were very happy. Hope that helps some.