- advertisement -

Infusion Set Failures

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by typeoneX2, Jun 25, 2012.

1. typeoneX2

typeoneX2 Approved members

For the past week, my son has been going through infusion sites daily (Inset). They last about 12 hours. In addition the sites seem way more red than normal and inflamed. His bg just shoots up and only comes down with the new site.

He likes the sites in his bottom and I am struggling to get him to try his stomach with the Comfort Set or Inset 2 (I?ve got both). Legs are not an option since there is zero fat.

We use skin prep, so the site should be clean.

In the past the sites have been good for 3 days and no evidence of inflammation.

We really don't want to go back to shots, but this can't continue, as we are running out of real estate for pump sites!

Any advice is appreciated!

2. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We use MM, so I don't know how much help my post will be. We started out with Quicksets (90 degree), and one day they just stopped working well. So we switched to Silhouettes (45 degree), and his BG's immediately dropped into normal range again. I don't know if anything like that is an option?

Have you tried using any numbing cream before sites, to see if maybe your son will agree to that if you try the cream?

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That sounds to me like he is reacting to the cannula somehow. Have you ever tried a steel set? I might give that a go and see if it helps. Sounds frustrating!

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

If sites are inflamed and red after only 12 hours that sound like an allergy. An infection wouldn't present that fast over and over. Definitely try another set. Also some benedryl spray--although that's more topical. This sound more like the cannula itself is causing it since bg is spiking. I agree with the others. try a steel set. Call animas and tell them and have them overnight you steel sets.

5. tuckerce

tuckerce Approved members

We are having the exact same problem with the insets. Looks like she is having a reaction to the cannula with a raised area where the cannula goes in and also when we remove the cannula it is kinked at the tip. We have an endo appt this Thursday and I am sure that we are going to get a lecture about her numbers for the past few weeks. I have heard that the steel sets are better option, so I guess I'll be calling to get some steel sets ASAP:)

6. typeoneX2

Thank you for the advice.

The site failed again this morning and I convinced (bribed) him to try an Inset 30 in his stomach. It is a psychological issue for him and he was fine with it, once it went in. If the Inset 30 reacts it must be the Teflon and we will try a set with a steel cannula. He plays sports so I am not sure how the steel cannula will work.

7. typeoneX2

Looks like the Inset 30 and switching to his stomach has solved the problem. The nurse at our hospital suggested that it was just overuse of those sites with the straight sets. He had no bumps but I guess the tissue just got irritated.

8. zatff

zatff Approved members

Insets often kink for me and won't work.

My problem with the inset is it often kinks or cannula gets bent over when inserting. Then insulin flow is either greatly reduced or non-existent if it didn't penetrate the skin. If i insert without using the inserter part I get less failures but still way too many. Very frustrating but it is only brand my supplier will stock.