advertisement

informing potential roommates

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by katerinas, Jan 26, 2018.

1. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Hi! My son is going to college this fall. Do you think he should inform potential roommates that he has diabetes and that he is waring Dexcom? I am thinking mostly about the noises Dexcom makes..

2. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

I would rephrase the question: when and how do you want the roommates to know about the diabetes and Dexcom? My philosophy is that they are going to find out, so the only question is when and how to you tell them or do they find out on their own.

Joshua

rgcainmd likes this.
  3. katerinas

Yes Joshua much better wording of the question! He is really open with his diabetes so it didn't even cross my mind that they wouldn't know. My concern is with all the beeping that goes on during the night which I suppose can be quite annoying

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I think it is important to let the roommates know, so they are not surprised & also so they can be a help in the event of an emergency. My daughter shared her diabetes openly with her roommate, including how to use glucagon. Her roommate is completely intimidated by needles, but like my daughter said, "fine, if you can't give me the shot, you can go across the hall to find someone else who can, or call for help."

rgcainmd likes this.
  5. katerinas

So would you tell them this in the proccess of finding a roommate or when you know who they are? At the moment he is searching

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter is at the same stage, but she says that she plans to tell upfront so that it isn't an issue later on. We're hoping that the T-slim's LGPS will lessen the amount of nighttime alarms.

rgcainmd likes this.
  7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter's school has an e-harmony type program that matches people for roommates, but within that, they are allowed to get acquainted and select their own roommate. She finished the questions today....and her #1 match popped up as a biomedical engineering major. Could be a great match! She'd quickly learn how obnoxious BG alarms are at night and maybe help hack into the omnipod for an AP system. ;)

Off topic is that I wish someone would engineer the Dexcom to also read ketones during illness!:)

rgcainmd likes this.
  8. katerinas

Same here, he finished the questions and he has been talking with some potential roommates, I am sure he hasn't told them about the anoying noises of dexcom during the night!