- advertisement -

Inflammation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tricia22, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Does anyone here have or know someone who has chronic inflammation issues and type 1 diabetes?
    I had a car accident back in August and have been having shoulder issues since. I need surgery to fix my shoulder, but part of the diagnosis is inflammation related.
    In the past, I have also had 3 left knee arthroscopies for synovitis (inflammation of the lining of the joint / the joint fluid); 1 left wrist arthroscopy to remove inflammed tissue and scar tissue; and sinus surgery because of chronic sinusitis.
    I know diabetes can put you at risk for inflammatory issues, but this seems ridiculous that at this point, I'm 29 and am coming up on my 6th surgery for something inflammation related.
    The other thing is that they say poorly-controlled PWDs are at risk for poor wound healing. My body generally goes the opposite of that and heals very quickly and goes over-board causing me to build scar tissue.
    I have a note in to my PCP and the orthopedic surgeon asking if I should be tested for something because it seems highly unlikely that I wouldn't have something making my body more prone to these issues.
    MS, celiac, and type 1 diabetes run in the family, so on top of being at risk for auto-immune issues because of my own type 1, I'm at risk for them because of the family history as well.
    I have always been a "well-controlled" PWD, so I wouldn't think it's something blood sugar related, but possible just something diabetes-related in general?
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    I'm getting very frustrated with my body.
    Thanks.

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Not the same label, but my daughter was three auto-immunes and one is JIA, which is joint inflamation. I'm assuming you have been evaluated for arthritis since your surgeries are joint-related but throwing it out there just in case.

And, for what it's worth, my daughter would fall in the "well-controlled" catgeory and we have no history of auto-immunes. Her immune system is just a bit out of control, apparentely. I've been looking into a few things that might be of interest to you, too, since you have so many issues in your family (although you didn't mention if it was just one per person or if some people are loaded up with multiple), but if you think there might be another AI involved in your issues, look at Multiple Autoimmune Syndrome and Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome. There are several types based on the cluster of AIs you see. I'm considering a road trip over summer vacation next year to take DD somewhere for additional testing, if I can work out the details and get her in.

3. Tricia22

One of my aunts had celiac and type 1 diabetes; another had type 1 diabetes; another has MS; grandmother had MS; great aunt had MS.
    I only have the type 1 diabetes as of now.
    I don't know that I have actually ever had an official arthritis work-up despite all the joint issues. That's not a bad idea.
    I'm just thinking at this point, there's got to be a common thread because this is not normal for a 29 year old to be going through / have been through all of this.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have messages out to my primary care doctor and the orthopedic surgeon and we'll see what they come up with.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Tricia, no insights, just wanted to say that I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of things.

It's all just unfair. Hope you get some answers and a deserved break soon.

5. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

Have you considered possible dietary causes of inflammation: high Omega-6, low omega-3, foods that may cause a flare up? I never believed the whole anti wheat thing, but had chronic sinusitis which went away when I cut wheat. A few other foods have a milder effect. I've tried to add it back 5-6 times. Later I found that my brother who has asthma is allergic to wheat proteins.

I may be hard to wade through the reality and fantasy of food and inflammation-there are literally books that say the exact opposite things about inflammation. Some are totally anti animal based foods and others are very pro-animal based foods.

I know that hashimoto's can flare up from beef protein. I know that omega-6 is THE pro-inflammatory fatty acid in the body and you need some (it essential, but you only need about 5 grams a day and most Americans get 30+). I have read that some arthritic people get (claim) flare ups from nightshade plants, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of a link (although nightshade plants-potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and bell peppers) DO contain a compound that does cause arthritis flare ups (when not taken as part of a whole food source).

I don't think that probiotics or a small dose of Omega-3 could hurt, since they are generally recommended part of diet. Also I don't think it could hurt to reduce high omega-6 foods. Again, from what I have read, they start to increase inflammation above normal levels at more than about 5-10 grams a day, unless you are very active and burn them off on a daily basis. I have also been told by nutritional researches that if people ate a lot of omega-6 rich foods in their life, and gained bodyfat and then try to lose it, the omega-6s that have been stored in fat cells get released and may cause inflammation. This is one reason why some recommend upping omega 3s when trying to lose weight though I don't know if it applies.

6. Tricia22

I have thought about trying an "anti-inflammatory diet" but I like my dairy and carbs... lol! I'm a Wisconsin girl... I don't know if I could do without cheese!
    I have done gluten free in the past when I have had GI issues at the recommendation of my gastro doc. Maybe I need to try that again.
    As of now, my PCP has ordered some labs to check for other various autoimmune issues and other causes of chronic inflammation. I'm interested in seeing what shows up!

7. Tricia22

The lupus and rheumatoid arthritis lab work came back negative, but the inflammation markers came back elevated, particularly the CRP. My PCP says "That could very well be from having type 1 diabetes itself or could be something else". So, I'm going to get a referral for a rheumatologist and see what they say.