- advertisement -

Infected toenail

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vettechmomof2, Jul 13, 2010.

1. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Funny thing was it probably happened at camp.
    She was wearing hiking sandals and they had a quick game of soccer and she got kicked in the big toe. It was black and blue and bled a little bit, seemed like no biggie.
    That happened June 25th.

Cut to now, she stated that on Sat. the toe was red and starting to hurt but ony thought to show me on Sunday. Lots of traveling and family gatherings this weekend so I understand the forgetting.

We were in the pool when she remembers so i pulled her foot out of the water and touched it where it proceeded to leak pus:(
    I scrubbed it with betadine and soaked it in epsom salts and alowed her to finish swimming and playing.

When we got home that night we scrubbed it again and soaked it again. Dried it well and placed a loose bandaid with ointment on it overnight.
    Continued the soaking and bandaids while wearing shoes.

STILL waiting for a call back from family docs office and endo. called first thing Monday am.yes, I have called back but unfortunately both docs are out of the office and the other docs are not answering yet:mad:

Is there anything else I should be doing right now for it? She can walk, no fever. We are monitoring the color and still soaking, keeping covered if wearing shoes.

2. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

I work for a podiatrist. The soaking instructions we give our patients are to use 1 quart of warm water, 3 tablespoons of salt, and 3 tablespoons of white vinegar. Soak twice a day for 15 minutes. The salt/vinegar seem to work better than just using epsom salt. Also, I would get her in to see a podiatrist as soon as you can. The endo won't be able to do anything about a toe, and the primary doc may refer you to a podiatrist anyway. The pus can be from the trauma of the nail being injured, or the nail can even be ingrowing.

3. vettechmomof2

Well, the damage from the trauma is all healed and gone, again it first happened on June 25th. I actually figured it caused the nail to get ingrown.
    We need a referral and exam from one of the regular docs before we can see anyone else, that is why we are waiting for the call back from endo or regular doctor. I figured I would call both as either can refer for us. Just neither has returned the call yet:(
    Will add in the vinegar. thanks.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I'm thinking ingrown toenail with all the healing and repairing!

5. etringali

etringali Approved members

Where are the nasty pictures? :D

6. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

I was thinking the same thing... where are the pictures!! LOL!!:D

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I have way more experience with toe issues that I'd like to have had;)
    If red and warm, she needs antibiotics, I know that they just don't mess around with these issues.

My dd and I have both had infected ingrown toes and I can tell you that without a doubt, that was way worse pain than recovering from a c/section with no drugs:eek:

8. vettechmomof2

Unfortunately it is not nasty enough for pictures otherwise I would have been posting. Didn't everyone see the foster dogs leg that we amputated, I posted pictures on facebook, now that was nasty.;)
    I had to go through ALL of the docs(all 12 of them) to find one to see her tomorrow. Not all the docs will treat or even see a potential ingrown toenail:(
    Endo and regular doc are actually out of the office, not just off today.
    She will be seen tomorrow am at 8:20am otherwise we would have had to wait until August 5th. I hate it when our normal docs are not in, they always fit us in if needed.
    Anyway, they just want me to soak it in the epsom salts and keep a bandaid on it when it is completely air dry. No karate tonight :eek:
    It is not warm at all, just slightly red and except for probably me you could not even tell it is red.
    Thanks all.