advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infant in Texas is being denied healthcare coverage because

Discussion in 'US Health Care Reform' started by Flutterby, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

he was born with a genetic heart condition, the insurance company is considering it a pre-exsisting condition.. how freaking rotten is that!?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yes I heard about the 10 day old baby. How could that be a pre-existing condition I wonder:confused: Way to go insurance companys!! Avoid paying claims at all costs

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson was denied insurance when he was born simply because he was born at 36 weeks, premature, 37 weeks is full term.....

4. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

http://cbs11tv.com/local/insurance.proposes.offer.2.1595850.html

The parents had coverage for the children, but not for themselves under the policy. If they had coverage for themselves, then the baby would have been covered because children are automatically covered unless you specify that they should not be.

I'm not un-sympathetic to the parents or the baby of course; and being born with a problem like that makes a child eligible for Texas Medicaid.

5. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

I agree 100% that the baby should've been covered by the policy if it was set up to cover him. Insurance companies are always looking for a loophole.:rolleyes:
    Luckily emergency Medicaid is available to any child with a health problem who needs medical care in Texas (and in most states). Families who do not qualify based on income still qualify based on medical need. The majority of children treated in children's hospitals across Texas are on Medicaid, CHIP or a program called "children with special health care needs" (CSHCN) and they all get great care.

Thankfully there is a big difference between being denied coverage and being denied care, which is illegal.

6. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Wow, that's a wacked out insurance plan! Max was 4 weeks early and Myles was 2. Guess we should be thankful they were covered!

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I should say that we were trying to get individual coverage at that point -- DH's job then didn't provide insurance. You can get denied for just about anything w/individual coverage. My friend came very close to being denied once because he had a small wart on his hand and had seen a doc to get it removed.

8. Lance

Lance Approved members

Newborn With Pre-Existing Condition Gets Coverage

Here is the resolution to this story.....

Tracy made the rounds on national blogs before he was even a month old.
    Company claims the 12-day-old baby has a pre-existing condition.

At 12 days old, he already had survived a rare birth defect, a feeding tube and open-heart surgery.

But his family was in a battle with an insurance company to get his surgeries covered.

9. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

That stinks. :mad::mad: Our son was born with a heart defect - 1st open heart at 6 days old. If we didn't have insurance, we would be broke!!!! How can a congenital heart defect be a preexisting condition???? Hopefully their insurance company will change their thinking - or they can get medicaid. I feel for them!!!

10. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

Wow, I would be in big trouble with Katie if my insurance company didn't cover pre-existing conditions. She was born with a genetic form of diabetes so technically that means she had it in-utero too. Good thing my insurance covered babies automatically when they were born. I worry about this for my kids once they get older. Will they have a hard time getting insurance b/c of their diabetes?

11. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Heh - we tried getting life insurance on DS when my DH got a new job. Turned down because of diabetes treated with insulin. <sigh> Guess we should have gotten those Gerber plans before we knew anything was wrong. :rolleyes:

12. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

And I could not work a full time job anywhere because, I was born 11 weeks preemie and have spina bifida, club feet, hip defects, and more and get private insurance at any price either. Not cricket, people. Like this tiny infant, we did not choose our birth or our outcome. So, insurance industry, why discriminate against us. I strive to be as fit as possible, and as healthy as I can be. Don't punish me because of that.