- advertisement -

Individual syrup packets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheLegoRef, May 17, 2012.

1. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We're going on a trip, and we will probably end up eating pancakes at least once. Have you bought sugar-free syrups in 1 ounce packets? (Or other low carb options) I've looked on Amazon, and there's a few, but they're cases of 100. I don't want to buy any until we know what tastes good. Any opinions appreciated! :) (And no, taking a bottle and putting it in the fridge isn't an option this trip. Previously, that is what we have done.) Thanks!!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't know - we just eyeball an 1/8 of a cup of real syrup ( maple syrup ) and bolus for 25g. We don't eat pancakes often, but that's mostly because I'm gf and do most of the breakfast cooking. ;)

3. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We just take our sugar-free syrup bottle along. I put the whole bottle (it's not that big) in a zip lock bag and throw it in my purse. You may be able to fill a couple of the tiny rubbermaid containers with the twist lids that will stay put with pre-measured sugar-free syrup...that worked for us once.

4. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

travel sized shampoo bottles have worked for us. but I still put it in a ziplock

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

Most restaurants have it if you ask. If you know where you will be eating, you could contact them and find out.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

read the lables, some sugar free syrups do not need the fridge, some do.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

find a fast food place that has them and buy a few sigle servings, usually 10-20 cents each. and i would guess they are 1-1.5 oz.

8. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Thanks for the responses! We'll look at the labels. I hadn't found a place that has sugar free ones. I'll have to look around. Anyone know of ones that do?

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

Cracker Barrel sells their sugar free syrup. But we always use the real syrup and bolus accordingly. We eyeball it but you can always bring collapsible measuring cups (Target and other places sell them) and carry them with you. Have fun on your trip!

ETA: Sorry, just re-read your post and you are looking for packets. Cracker Barrel sells the bottles.

10. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Regular syurp

Pancakes are a struggle. We don't eat them very often as a family since dx. Used to carry a little bottle of sugar free syurp because couldn't find the packets you are asking about. One time DS just tried regular syurp and calculated insulin amount and that was okay but not great. Seems like they sit in his stomach, cause a BG spike, requires a correction and then later he feels bad and needs protein. For about the first 2 years I looked and looked for S.F. products and then went back to just using regular plain old sugar (within reason) and giving insulin to cover.Sometimes even the S.F. stuff seemed to cause weird BG swings. Sugar...now that I know.

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

4 tablespoons of 100% real syrup is manageable with the appropriate amount of insulin for my son. It is only 26 grams of carbohydrates.

The fake stuff doesn't cut it -- has to be 100% real maple syrup.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

Yes, MUST be 100% real maple syrup here as well. Otherwise his #'s go wonky.