- advertisement -

Independence with taking insulin at school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyPumpkin, Aug 13, 2013.

1. MyPumpkin

MyPumpkin Approved members

My son is 12 and is starting 6th grade. Over the summer he has become really independent in figuring out his insulin amounts. I still figure out dinner carb amounts for him (since I'm the one making it). But he weighs things out and can figure out the carbs himself; for example if he is eating cereal he uses the scale and figures out how many carbs he is eating. He will tell me what is blood sugar is and how many carbs he is eating and how much insulin he is taking. He can figure it all himself and I have not been double checking him unless something seems off. I am very confident in his abilities to do this and he is getting older and I think it is good for him to be in more control. He is also very very good at math. So I know that is not an issue for him.

Ok now to the point of my post. I would like for him to be able to handle things the way we have been at home the same way at school. He basically wants to run down to the nurse before lunch and quickly take his insulin and be done with it. However the school nurse needs to re-verify the carb count calculation and the BG calculation before he can take his insulin. Not that big of a deal but if there is other issues going on at the nurses office (which happened yesterday) it can take a few before she can go over the numbers.

He is at an age where he really does not what Diabetes to be taking too much of his time. Last year there where times that he got down to the lunch room when all his class was already done.

I know that the nurse wants to know how much he is taking. So I have a sticky note pad that I write in the amount of carbs he is eating and the correction then I leave a space for my DS to put his BS and correction plus total amount of insulin. My idea was to put it on her desk let her see the pen and then he could quickly be in and out. However she said that she still needs to double check everything.

I called our doctors last night to try and get something written from the doctor saying that this would be ok. The nurse called me back and said no. Our next appointment is not until the end of Sept. but I am going to talk to the doctor about it then.

This whole thing has me questioning myself. The nurse at the children's hospital acted like I had two heads for wanting to let him figure out his insulin himself and told me basically I was putting my child at risk. I really feel like he is very capable of handling this. I want him to learn independence (but I am still there in the background). What are other peoples experiences with this and opinions. Thanks. :cwds:

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 13, a week before 8th grade started. She's always been able to do her shots/calculations herself. She did go to the nurses office some the first few weeks, the nurse knew way more than we did at that point. It took too much of her lunch time so she'd just test and bolus at the lunch table. We just had to sign something that it was ok for her to do it herself.

The nurse said it was fine to test/bolus anywhere on campus except she asked they they not do it in the restrooms "because they're gross" :D

She took her lunch mostly, always had, so I just marked the carbs on everything and she'd add up what she wanted to eat. After a few months when she got more comfortable she'd do a few of the school lunches she liked and we got carb counts for those.

I don't see why if you and your son both feel comfortable with him doing it himself he can't at least try it out for a few days and see how it goes.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have the luxury of two nurses at our school and one pretty much handles lunch time D duty. It's also easier as there is only 1 D kid per grade so it is staggered by 30 minutes.

My daughter boluses for snacks and corrects if necessary. She will either call the nurse depending on timing or write it down in her notebook and then at lunch when all kids are required to check in, she tells them the number. At lunch she will say, I am bolusing for 50, I am giving myself 5.5 units. The nurse will repeat back and then write it down. In all it probably takes 2 minutes... If it is a big bolus such as 10+ units, they may take a moment and add everything and just calculate to be safe. But, they are encouraging (along with our nurse/doc) about moving towards being self sufficient and independent.

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I bet if he were pumping it might be a lot different. Have you looked into it at all? FWIW I don't think you're crazy for thinking he can calculate his own insulin. If he can and will take care of it, I say let him do as much as possible. You might get some headway if you explain to he nurse how disruptive it is to his school day and that she should trust your son. A sticky note with the numbers can be reviewed 15 min later without a big problem even if he made a mistake. If it were my son I wouldn't want all his lunch time taken up waiting for the nurse.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If the endo signs off on this level of self-care then the nurse cannot insist on verifying - she may request notification of dose ( and I think that would be a reasonable safety measure), but if the Doc writes the orders for self administration and you feel that your son is capable then it's really not the nurse's call.

If your Doc has concerns maybe he/she and your son can discuss it over the phone or if need be at the next appt.

Good luck.:cwds:

6. MyPumpkin

Thanks for the replies. I was starting to feel like I was asking to do something over the top. :rolleyes: I really think that when we go to his next appointment I can talk with the doctor and get him to write something allowing this. I just wanted to make sure that what I was asking for was normal. And it seems like it is. I know the school nurse is just trying to protect herself and I understand that. It was the reaction of the nurse from the children's hospital when I was trying to get in contact with the doctor that threw me.

7. MyPumpkin

Yes. Thank you for that information that you sent to me. But right now it is still going to be more then we can handle financially with the monthly supply cost of the pump. At the beginning of next year we may be having some things changing financially for us and it maybe something we can look into at that time. But for now we are going to be staying on MDI. :cwds:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I completely understand! It can definitely be managed with shots. Stand your ground firmly but nicely with the nurse. :)

Hope you can start pumping soon!

Good luck.