- advertisement -

Include medical expenses in Child Support Payment

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Belinda, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Belinda

Belinda Approved members

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has experenced this before, but my child support enforcement office wants to include my daughters reoccurring medical expenses as part of the child support payment from ex-husband. He is currently ordered to pay 50%, but refuses to pay for anything. I'm not sure what to list in the expenses. Right now, I don't pay anyting for test strips but know that could change with each new plan. Has anyone been through this?

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

What's the insurance situation? You can order that he put her on his plan, or that he contribute to what you pay to insure her. And it can always be modified as things change.

3. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

I would think you should include everything that is purchased specific to your child having T1D - not just prescriptions. I'm thinking anything that would be covered through a medical type flex plan should be included as all of those items which are purchased for your child are seen officially as medical expenses. Some things that come to mind are:

alcohol pads
    juice boxes, glucose tabs and other things kept for lows
    ketone sticks
    medical id items (not recurring, but when needed)
    transportation costs for travel to endo appointments
    batteries for meter and/or pump
    Any medical insurance coverage you are paying for the child
    Vision checkups and/or other vision costs
    Dental checkups and/or other dental needs/services

Good luck!

4. Belinda

Belinda Approved members

Thanks for your replies. I currently carry the insurance and he pays 30% of that cost. It's lousy I know. Right now he hasn't paid expenses or child support since June. I'm thinking Child support Services is just wanting to streamline the collections since he's not following the rules. I wish I could predict the furture and see what next years expenses will be... :confused: