- advertisement -

In two weeks we are going camping in the SNOW!! Need advise..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BCmom, Feb 3, 2011.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

OK this year we are doing it!

Last year I said no ( she had only had diabetes for about 10 months, and I wasn't willing to even try) but this year we are going to give it a go.

My daughter is in scouts and is trying to get her chief scout award ( Canadian version of eagle scout) and a winter camp is required (no NOT in cabins, I wish:rolleyes:).

I figure the worst that can happen is everything freezes and we just go home right?

So I would like to know do you know any sites or Outdoor enthusiasts with Type 1 that could give me any more tidbits on how to avoid pitfalls I haven't allready thought of?

I am planning to have a pouch which I wear against our body inside our coats. One for Em one for me, which will have meters and insulin in it. I plan to have lots of dextrose (juice will freeze), glucerna bars (the liquid will, I know I already said it freeze)...

Anything I need to remember? avoid? do?

And don't tell me I am crazy, I already know that! LOL.;)

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I used to spend a lot of time outdoors in the Chicago winter. And here are my winter tips:
    I often find the batteries get too cold and won't work in my meter, so I take the battery out, and rub it between my hands and put it back in and voila! I works.
    I don't know what meter you're using. The one-touch won't give you the "too cold" error until after you put blood on the strip- the accu chek aviva will give you the thermometer BEFORE you put any blood there, preventing you from wasting a strip.
    If you just can't get a reading, assume she's low, have her eat and try again in 20- 30 minutes.
    Bring extra insulin. If one vial freezes, then keep holding the next vial in your hand, or tape it to the skin so it doesn't freeze.
    Pad whatever you put your meter and insulin in. Like, bring an extra sweatshirt and put the meter and insulin inside. After I started doing that I got way fewer frozen meters. I think a couple socks might work as well though.

3. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Is Emmalene on Lantus now? If so, the night BEFORE you go, you will want to decrease her dose-outside in cold weather really drives down need for basal insulin. If you are wearing a pouch next to you inside your clothes, your supplies should do fine. I would depend on glucose tabs rather than liquids. When we are out for a while and fingers are cold, it is harder to get a drop of blood, so we use hand warmers now inside gloves and no problem! Have fun, this sounds like a great time.

4. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

You are mom supreme, you rock. I hate camping in the summer! I have no advice and you said not to tell you that you're crazy so I thought some kudos instead!

5. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We camp and ski a lot, althoug haven't camped in the winter, but I would be sure to take headlamps for night-time BG checks and I'd look get a bunch of those little hand warmers that you bend to activate. We use those for skiing to warm up frozen fingers so that they will bleed (they will also warm up cold meters).

If wearing a pump, be sure to tuck the tubing in. A few winters back a friend of ours had her tubing shatter in the cold (but it was crazy cold up in Sunshine Valley).

Have fun!!

We're busy building an igloo in our yard and the kids want to sleep out in it. I told them we'll have to get the roof on it first...

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

All I can do is echo what others have said. My four just did a winter camp two weekends ago (-18C plus windchill!) they did sleep in cabins though!

Absolutely reduce the basal and check over night. The activity combined with the extra energy needed in cold weather really brought Amanda's numbers down.

We also gave a small uncovered snack at bedtime~ approx 15 carbs. This is one of those times when you don't try for perfect numbers. I was more comfortable with higher overnight & waking numbers because of all the activity & cold temps.

Have a great time and stay warm!!

7. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thank-you for the great tips!!!!

I didn't even think about her hands being to cold and using handwarmers...!

She is on Levemir at night and Nph during the day with humulog...

And thanks about the tips about the meter...

Keep the ideas coming. Yes I am a crazy mom and extremely nervous :eek:.

8. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

All the prep we have done for this and now she has a fever!!! she is so distraught!

9. Deal

Deal Approved members

Hope she's able to go. At least if she can't it has nothing to do with Diabetes. I think it's great you are encouraging her to do everything she wants and just dealing with the extra Mom tax that D places on you.