- advertisement -

In response to the BP catastrophe

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

As a family, we've been talking quite a bit about the oil spill and finding ways to further our efforts to reduce our consumption of petroleum products and other actions we can take to reassess our lifestyle. I though that perhaps we could share ideas here, and encourage each other to find ways to respond to this nightmare rather that becoming paralyzed by the magnitude of the spill.

We are combining trips, driving less and using the more fuel efficient car whenever possible.

Using reusable water bottles and giving water bottles as gifts ( I really like these http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/classic/klean-kanteen-classic.html)

Bringing our own bags to the supermarket

Not buying products, especially produce, packed in those plastic clamshells and actively writing to producers of foods to encourage them to reduce packaging and reliance on plastic.

BUT, I haven't found a solution to plastic garbage bags.... we recycle and compost but there's still trash to deal with and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with ditching the kitchen garbage bag? Are there any alternatives that work?

2. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

My grandpa just piles trash and recycling on the end of his counter and makes a few trips a day to the trash can and recycling bin outside. I may do that when I feel safe that my 1 year old won't hurt herself in the 2.5 seconds I'm outside.
    I've seen cloth bags for produce and I think I may order some on payday-as a vegan (which in a way reduces need for oil) I go through a lot of that lol. I recently bought a bunch of canisters cause we are buying a lot of things in bulk-like rice, beans, grains-less packaging that way-just a thin plastic bag.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

We live in a strange town. No municipal trash pick up. You have to either pay a private hauler an insane amount each month or take your trash to the dump yourself. Since the dump is close and actually really tidy and easy to do, we just do that. And honestly, having to shlep one's garbage is a real incentive to reducing one's solid waste :rolleyes: But I can't haul the cans, so big, stupid plastic bags are called for ... I wish there was a paper option, maybe something wax coated on the inside?

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

that sucks! We are real lucky, we have a big can and we can put any type of recycling stuff in there, no sorting needed. I think it's great! Sure beats driving out to a recycling station like we did growing up.
    For my grandpa, it's just him now so there's not much waste lol. He does have a small trash compactor and he puts things that won't rot in there sometimes. I think I could do it if the hubby makes more room in the garage to put the big trash can in there, the garage door is real close to the kitchen.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Ugh, I don't know.
    We moved to downsize but we're in the boonies and so we now drive so much. I was so tired of spending all my life in the van, and now I spend my life in the van. I don't know how to fix this, we were supposed to be working out of the home but we're not there yet. Maybe set a few days a week as "stay at home" days?
    We're buying a lot less, being broke and all, so that helps. But our food is all in plastic of some kind or another. CSA's and such are hours' drives away.
    Had not really thought about this, will have to work on it. . . .

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Ok, this not buying produce packaged in plastic ( when you shop at a regular chain grocery) is proving so hard! Oy - all the good tomatoes... in plastic ( it's too early here for local tomatoes) and when the had nothing but heads of iceburg ALL the good lettuce was in plastic. Needed lacrosse balls ... guess what? In Plastic! So crazy. Just have to keep trying and writing and convincing others to take note :rolleyes:

7. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Play it Again Sports and other used sporting goods sell lacrosse balls without packaging. I did it all the time in college. (Yes, we play a little lacrosse in Texas).

I've used the cloth bags at grocery stores for years, and around here the locallly-oriented grocery stores offer all veggies plastic-free.

8. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members