- advertisement -

I'm starting to hate everything about potty training

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ShanaB, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

My little big man just turned 3. We have never pushed potty training, figured he will get there when he's ready. The past two weeks he does not want to wear diapers except to bed. It's great because he's taking the lead and showing he's ready but good lord, I've never had to deal with so much bodily waste and I'm starting to really get tired of it. He has only pooped once or twice in the potty, for the most part he'll hide in a corner somewhere (very normal I hear). Secondly, he'll make it to the potty maybe 70% of the time, that means a 30% accident rate which isn't bad but I'm so tired of cleaning up piddle. He will also go in his little potty sometimes (vs the adult toilet) but he doesn't always tell us so I'll randomly open it up and find 3 day old pee. Yes I should be checking more frequently to solve that problem.

It will all be worth it and forgotten about shortly but I feel like I'm living in a bodily fluid waste hazard zone and it's creeping me out!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Have you tried Tinkle Targets?

My friend's house was all tile and she let her children run around naked all day and they quickly learned about their bodily functions. I'm not sure how many would be willing to do this...but perhaps outside with lots of sunscreen?;)

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I understand your frustration. No advice for you though, as I am the winner of the "worst potty training methods award":D.
    Ian's potty training has been a 2 steps forward, 3 steps back type of thing. He will occasionally forget to go to the toilet and poop his undies.:mad: Sometimes he even tells me when I ask him what the awful smell is, "Oh, you know mommy, I think I farted." (can we say fart here:confused:). I have explained numerous times that farts' smell usually dissipate after a while, while the smell he carries around, doesn't.:rolleyes: He has gone back to pull-ups for sleeping. I have no idea what to do anymore. Both the ped and the endo just say be patient, but I HATE the smell. Ian's responsible for cleaning his messes, which he hates.:D
    For Alex, I told him before summer vacation that he would not wear any more diapers during the day.He has has accidents 2x since July 15, and goes to the toilet by himself, and cleans his tush by himself...granted the level of cleanliness is not very high, LOL, but he tries really well.

Good luck!

4. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

We're right there with you! I've made my DH promise that when Will is done with his potty training that we'll get brand new flooring. I've cleaned up so much poop and pee off the carpets, walls and furniture the last five years that I deserve new floors. (Seriously, between my two boys and my nephew there is very little in my house that's not been "sprayed" at least once.)

William (turns 3 next Feb.) will go to the potty to pee consistantly on his own, but he's still very unpredictable with letting us know whether he needs to poo. Every once in a while I'm lucky enough to catch the "look" and get him to the potty before he runs off somewhere. :D

Good luck to you guys with training. :cwds: I know how much easier things were after my older son went off diapers and trainers once and for all. He'd been trained for nearly 2.5 years when my youngest was born, thankfully, and I'm looking forward to when Will gets to that point, too.

5. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Ok those tinkle targets are great, incentive to use the toilet with a lesson too!

I guess my next question is, we've been teaching him to sit down to pee...figuring it would be easier then standing up (master one thing at a time). Is that the right thing to do or did most of you teach boys to stand and aim?

Sorry if this thread is a tad TMI!

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

If it's right for you, it's the right thing to do :p.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ian started with sitting, then standing. Alex started with standing up, but he sees Ian so I guess wants to pee like him.
    Sometimes the aim could be better.;)

8. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I'm a fan of teaching them to stand from the beginning. I noticed how confusing it was for my nephew, as my sister was teaching him to pee sitting down, and then he would see my Patrick standing to pee. (I thought it might help for my Patrick to give my nephew pointers on potty training, since he always has looked up to Patick.) With Will, all he really wanted to do is be like daddy and Patrick. :p It didn't seem like we had much trouble at all with that part of it. He'd stand there with DH, even if he didn't have "anything" to do. He'd still go pee on the floor in his room, or wherever he was standing, but it made things much easier once he realized what DH was really standing there to do.

I don't suppose that one way is better or more right than the other, but whichever way that works for you guys is best.

9. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Thanks for all the standing/sitting advice. I guess if I taught him to develop aim now we may have better luck keeping the pee off the wall in the future...ya right, what delusional world am I living in :p

Thanks for sharing guys :) It's nice to know I'm not alone in the quest to conquer the diaper!

10. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

He might have fun sinking cheerios in the toilet. Mine still refuses to use anything but diapers. Fortunately, he's shown a pattern with his milestones. When he's ready, he will do it completely. BTW, you might want to put a little potty seat hidden in the corner where he hides and show him where to go. IKEA has some cute little ones for $4 which we have spread around the house in case inspiration strikes.

11. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I taught Tony to sit down-probably cause dh works offshore and I couldn't explain to him how to use his stuff lol. Then when we moved to Oregon a few months later he saw his cousin standing and decided that is the way to go, and now lysol wipes are my friend cause his aim still sucks! It was around 6 months from start to finish, probably would have been shorter if we didn't move in the middle of the everything halfway across the country.

12. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We taught Kaleb to stand from the beginning. I also have to say for us Kaleb was much harder to potty train than Riley was. Kaleb had just turned three and Riley was fully potty trained at her first birthday. Neither one ever had accidents.

13. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Ok that is unbelievable (not that I don't believe you). Holly smokes that ROCKS!

14. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

Aaron was about 3 1/2 when he was fully potty trained. We kept a chart on the fridge and drew happy faces when he made it to the potty and sad faces when he had accidents. It took him about 3 weeks and the promise of a power wheels to fully get it. I trained him sitting down and he's still a sitter because he's not a, uh, straight shooter. I did read somewhere recently about teaching little boys to sit backward on the potty, which may work for you if you want to do targets with your son. We didn't use pull-ups working on that theory that they need to feel the wet to learn cues. I went through TONS of paper towels, clorox, lysol, etc. We have 1 1/2 years until we move again (we currently live in ancient military base housing); our area rugs will be hitting the dumpster before we leave here and I'm hoping to have baby #3 potty trained before we leave here, these houses are supposed to be knocked down soon anyway :rolleyes::eek: And one more thing, unless you absolutely cannot do it, sometimes it's just the best and easiest thing to throw away those poopy undies rather than clean them out.

15. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

If I say I'm enjoying this thread, will you all think I'm crazy? LOL!! It's just nice to know I'm not alone on something non-D related. ;)

My son turned 3 in June, and he talks a great game about going potty, but he's never actually GONE when he's sitting there yet. We've tried the pull-ups that get cold when wet, nothing. We've tried sitting, standing, etc-- nothing. I figure next week when DD is in school I'll start really working with him on it... maybe when he's getting my full attention he'll be more motivated.

16. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I can't believe i'm saying this...I so glad I have teenagers right now!

17. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I second this idea. I got the cheapest undies I could find, and we went through a few pairs before we got there.
    As for the sitting/standing I had more problems with my dd. Phillip's dad taught him to stand, then when it came time for Shanaiah to potty train she wanted to stand too.:rolleyes: Took a bit of convincing to get her to sit.

18. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

:D Oh Shana....my sides hurt from laughing!! :D:D I have 3 males in my house - Dh, ds age 12, ds age 9.....sometimes I think if maybe I asked them to pee on the wall, they might make the toilet!!!!:rolleyes::p

19. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

Both boys sat first, stood later. Even with sitting the pee doesn't always all go in the toilet. Sometimes moving the potty to in front of the tv works for when it's #2. I also agree with the naked time. It's a good time for it too being so hot. Also taking the potty outside. I know what you mean about forgetting to check the potty for pee. Guess I don't have too much to add other than getting him some cool underwear. If I think of anything else I will be back...but you know how they say "it was like overnight they were potty trained"? you will think that way some day..the lightbulb will switch on.

20. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

When my oldest (Brent, 5) was potty training I had what I called a "potty treat" bag. I went and spent around $20 on little knick knacks and hung them in a bag on the back of the bathroom door. He got one prize for #1 and two prizes if he did #2. It worked really well for him. He was 28 mos and was trained pretty well in about 2 weeks. I thought Aidan would be harder since he has to pee more frequently if his sugar is high, but he also did really well, AND WITHOUT ANY BRIBES!! He just really likes to go potty because he can flush the toilet and wash his hands with the blue soap in the bathroom. He's a weird one!! LOL. Good luck!!