- advertisement -

I'm sick at the worst time ever - vent.

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by emm142, Mar 21, 2009.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was awake for a large part of last night with my throat feeling swollen and yucky and generally just crap, and it's just getting worse through the day. I have a headache and a stomach ache and this weird cold thing.

I don't feel like eating anything apart from yogurt, so I had yogurt this morning and then the lows began, so I had to start eating "real food," 'cause my BGs just weren't staying stable.

Anyway, now I was just sitting here when I realised my legs were getting very, very itchy. Switched from tight jeans into PJs because tight clothes + itchiness = not good, and I've got hives all over my legs. This always happens to me when I'm sick, and last time I got hives badly (in the summer) I went REALLY high and my insulin needs tripled.

I really don't need this right now. On Monday I have an oral language exam, and I desperately need to revise, but I've lost my voice, and keep falling asleep. :( This is one of the most important (if not THE most important) exams I've ever sat, and I really need an A. Why do I have bad timing for getting sick? [/rant]

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Are you sure its just sick and not an allergic reaction to something?? Try to relax and just rest. And then as you know: test often, keep hydrated, and watch for ketones.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think I'm sick, mostly because I have no idea what I could be allergic to. I asked mum about all the obvious things which could have changed to give me a sudden allergy, and there seems to be not much of a cause. I'm a bit better this morning although I'm tired because I got trace ketones last night and my mum freaked out and made me check a load in the night. They're down again today though, so it's all good there. My BGs are following a weird pattern of: high (correction), 3hrs later - normal, 2hrs later - high (correction) etc. Basically I think I need a temp basal, but I'm scared of them so I'm just keeping on correcting. I'm taking painkillers, cold medicine and anti-histamines right now, so I'm covering all bases. I just need to study, but it's really difficult to focus. If I still feel this bad tomorrow I might ask for an extension on the exam - I just want to get it over with, though.

4. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Awww Emma I'm so sorry about this! It seems everyone is getting sick lately! I hope your teacher gives you the extension, it would be horrible to test when you feel that way. (((hugs)))

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm feeling a lot better than before now -- thanks guys. I've still got a really bad cold, but the hives are going down and I'm not too itchy anymore, and my throat doesn't hurt quite as badly as before. My numbers are down as well. Ketones on blood meter are low, only 0.2, but pee sticks are still showing trace to small ketones. I think I'm getting better though. :)

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Okay, so I've spiked back up to 313. :(

This is about the time the allergy meds (for the hives) are wearing off - I can take another one in about 2-3 hours and hopefully then I'll come down some. Ketones are totally gone though, I'm just trying to keep it that way.

7. s0ccerfreak

I think you should maybe gets some allergy testing done. You can develop an allergy at any age. The throat hurting and hives worry me especially since the allergy meds seem to being something. I think it would be worth looking into or atleast talking about with your doctor. :confused:

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'll keep the allergy in mind, if it doesn't go away within the next day or two. I do often get hives with illness though (I'm weird like that) and I'm very prone to skin allergies (yaknow, I have to use certain types of soaps / shampoos / washing powders and avoid the sun at all costs) so they could have been triggered by anything. It's DEFINITELY the hives which send my BGs high more than anything else, though, I've seen that pattern a few times though.

I sat the test. In the end, this morning I decided I just wanted to get it out of the way, so I went into school. It went well, and although the teacher couldn't tell me what I got (because it's a speaking exam, they record it onto a tape and sent it to an official examiner person) but she said it went a lot better than the practise one I did, and I got a B in the practise, so I'm happy with that. My BGs only went slightly high (rose about 70mg/dl) from stress, so it was okay there as well. ^-^ (I'm happy.)

9. s0ccerfreak

I would guess the underlying cause is what makes your bg goes up with the hives :confused: You know like the stress of whatever allergy or sickness. I'm glad to hear that your exam seemed to go well-I'm sure you did great :D