- advertisement -

I'm preparing for school start

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StillMamamia, Sep 7, 2010.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just thinking out loud, so bear with me.

No nurses here, so depending on the teachers, as usual.

I want to make it short and precise. I'm thinking of preparing this:

- short description of T1 D
    - copy of the hypo and hyper symptoms chart (from changingdiabetes)
    - 1 page with specific times to test and when to test outside of that (weird behaviour, too many bathroom trips, etc)
    - copy of meter short intx sheet
    - box with: batteries for meter and pump, dextrose tabs, cookies, juice, testing strips)
    - 1 Glucagon for the school to keep
    - list of house and cellphones, as well as the endo's, just in case DH or I are not reachable.

The working of the pump I'll do hands-on for the first 2 weeks.

I should receive an invite to give to the teachers for an one evening info/training session after school starts.

The rest I'll wing it, I guess.

I'm also thinking to put the carbs amount for the snack in the snack box and have them work with Ian on the bolus for that. But I don't want that to happen until everyone is comfortable and BGs seem to be behaving a bit after school start. Til last school year, the teacher called us pre and post snack.

I don't want to overwhelm them, but would like to try the bolus for the snack to be done without them calling me, after a while.

Wish me luck!;) It'll be 1st grade and I am getting nervous.

2. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Good Luck...sounds like you are all ready! :)

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Paula, will Ian be moving around to different classrooms (ie. music, art)? We have a small bag of glucose tabs and juice boxes and fruit chews for each of these classes, in the event of lockdown.

Also, each class that she goes to has a copy of the hyper/hypo chart.

Otherwise, it looks like you've got all bases covered.

4. StillMamamia

Oh yeah, forgot about that, LOL. I ordered the double SpiBelt and was thinking to let Ian carry a few tabs with him. He'll be in the same classroom mostly, except for recess and gym (will also provide info to the gym teacher). Oh, he'll also have swimming but not sure if it's right away or in February, so have to see (I'll be tagging along anyway for swimming, as they have to take the bus there and I'm not letting someone else unhook his pump and then forget, kwim?).

5. StillMamamia

Oh, another thing which is cool.

The school phone is down the hall, so the teachers made a request to the townhall to get their own cellphone in class, just to call us. It was approved.:)

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

They make keychains that hold 4 tabs. Looks like a contact lens case. Let me know if you want me to send you one.

Awesome on the cellphone!

7. StillMamamia

That's a cool idea about the keychain. Thank you, but our tabs are square (I'm assuming yours are round, yes?), but definitely a good idea if the double pouch seems to bulky for him.

8. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Hey Paula, we just recently put up a few documents on the site that may help if you need a start.

Take a look at http://www.diabetesinschools.ca/parent-resources/

Of course they have to be customized but it might be easier then starting from scratch.

Good luck :)

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Ooo...good luck Paula. I still have the list you gave me a few months ago. I'm still in school with her the WHOLE day. My last full day here is tomorrow... or so I hope since we have to move to a new place this weekend and the movers are coming on Friday to pack.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Nice ;)

Your list looks complete.:cwds: Hope you and Ian get off to a great start. And don't even get me started on swim lessons for PE - :rolleyes:, it's my least favorite time of the year. Do Ian's sites stand up to the pool? It's the one area where we really have issues. I don't know if it's the chemicals in the water or the hasty changes, but it's the quickest way I know to blow an site:eek:

11. StillMamamia

Thank you, Shana. I'll certainly take a look at that.:)

Well, usually the Tegaderm holds up well. We'll have to see. That's another reason I'll be tagging along. Ian will love the pool a lot. NOT!:eek: