- advertisement -

I'm not the only one, am I...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Oct 16, 2014.

1. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

No one I know "in real life" could even remotely understand how I feel each night. Each night at midnight and 3am when I walk down the hall and go into my sons room I hold my breath, and only let it out when I see his chest rise and fall. It's been worst lately. I can't figure out why. It's not fun, I hate it. I hate you T1D, I hate you so much.

:blue:

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

No - you're not the only one....we're here with you.. And my first D child was born 08/2001 as well.. :cwds:

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Mine was born 5/2001 and I still hold my breath some mornings going into her room. The Dexcom has taken away much of the anxiety, but there are still days...

4. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

No, you are not the only one :frown:
    Sending hugs

5. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Not the only one. Mine's been worse recently thought too- seems to ebb and flow. Same as Beach Bum the dexcom helps...

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Nope, not the only one. I think that's one of the cruelest things about T1. One of the great joys of parenthood, especially with little ones, is putting them to bed a night and exhaling because you made it through another day protecting them from the world - they are finally safe, you can relax and stand down. Not with T1. The nights are the worst, knowing they are most vulnerable, and yet you need sleep to be able to deal with all the f*ing technology and judgement calls and carb counting and all that crap the next day. I hate it too. We are only six months in, I can't imagine this for the long haul. Sending virtual hugs along with everyone else.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Definitely not the only one.

It crosses my mind occasionally, and it is scary and depressing. But I try and remember that there are no guarantees in life, regardless if you have a CWD or not. I could leave for work in the morning and get in an accident and never come home. Life is so fragile. I also remind myself that there are other illnesses that cause parents to have the same thoughts. I tell myself that I am doing everything I can to keep her safe and that has to be enough.

And of course, even though I tell myself all those things it really doesn’t help when I am in the midst of those feelings. I just have to ride them out. But the good thing is that those thoughts are usually fleeting and I am able to not dwell on them. But I agree with you, it just sucks. Hang in there….

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

^^^This. I was especially thankful for it when my daughter came home from a camping event and slept 24 hours straight. I would've been a basket case or poking her every little bit, had I not had the Dexcom.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My son and daughter are adults, but have both been on CGM's for years now. The longest week of my life just happened when my daughter took about a weeks vacation from her Dexcom. So scary for me, especially because she moved away from home 2 months ago. Luckily she decided she wanted it back on. If it is possible for you to get one, it is most certainly a game changer in so many ways. I used to hold my breath every time they tested! With the Dexcom, there are rarely any surprises.

10. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Not alone!!!

11. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

No not alone. And I am perpetually tired from the checking and worrying.

But ... every now and then, checking him isn't so bad. I'm in his room at 2am, flashlight in mouth, and it hits me that "I'm able to check him". I'm able to do what needs to be done to keep him healthy. Some parents I know do not have this option with their kids. I know that's little consolation but sometimes it helps me.

Most the time it just sucks. Hang tough. Time helps.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I use a headlamp and it makes things easier. They sell them at most sporting goods stores. Just something to consider.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm famous for wearing these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Readi...493592&sr=8-1&keywords=eyeglasses+with+lights

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Me too. 14 years this year. Cgms help some but still get up when it goes off or CGM has problems. Tired is my middle name.
    I use a book light with a clip. I clip it to the top of my shirt. Use that for checking now.

15. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

You definitely aren't alone. The worst is when i turn the alarm off in my sleep and then wake up in a panic. But that's not every night, most nights I'm just a zombie :)

16. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

So thankful to be in such great company!!! I hug the flashlight under my chin lol. Hugs to all of you and the OP! :)

17. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I'm right there with you, though I agree that a CGM does help a lot. No flashlight for me, though--most of the time I use the meter's light, and if I need something more I turn on the room light. I guess I'm meaner than most (or my kid's a deeper sleeper)!

18. dpr

dpr Approved members

Your definitely not the only one. Another crazy growth spurt tonight. She's on 200% basal with 2 corrections that are about 5X the amount of a normal correction just to have her sit level at 220. Thank God for Dex.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We have used CGM for years now with my oldest. Yet my youngests is so diffferent on the CGM.

I walk into my kids room and " look" first for regular respirations before testing them for a low. I gauge if I can go set the stove timer for 1/2 hour depending on how they responde to a juice box.

My oldest was DX at 13 months and was still breast feeding at that time, I still wake up multiple times a night because I am so used to it.

You are not alone.

20. dpr

dpr Approved members

I'm up late again tonight with another crazy growth spurt. 200% basal with corrections that are about 5X more insulin than a normal correction. Dex level at 220, down from 280 straight up after 2 hours. Yep, I'm with all of you.