- advertisement -

I'm just never fast enough to make it into the closed threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charlotte'sMom, Nov 28, 2011.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Sometimes I get annoyed when a thread gets closed, especially when there is a really good discussion on "taboo" issues and you get people throwing out different points of views in an intelligent manner. I like to read those, but usually they get closed since inevitably it gets emotional. It's human, I guess, but sometimes I don't see why they get closed. Other times, I'm glad they get closed.

I still log on almost daily. I don't contribute as much, out of burnout I guess. But when I can, I try to help, though I can honestly say others do a much better job at it.

There was one time recently when a thread got closed before I posted something which I thought was brilliant, and then I got irritated because you all missed out on my annual lightbulb moment.:D Can't recall what it is anymore, LOL.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Thats it!:eek: We need another section of the forums called, "Lightbulb moments" AKA "A HA!!!" Just kidding:) But I have that alot, usually at night after I shut the puter down and go to bed. I think AH HA! I should have told her to try that! or "I bet if he did that it would fix everything!" Then I wake up and the idea is gone. Gotta start writing stuff down as my old lady brain doesnt retain much these days;)

Not sure if I'll be able to post this before the thread is closed but here goes!

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

I totally relate. My endo practice is, for lack of a better phrase, quite antiquated. Things are getting better as they are bringing in new, younger doctors, but I have learned SO MUCH more from CWD than I will ever learn from them.

4. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Hey, I'm still here for the exact same reasons. I try to post when I can, and I still need help occasionally. I appreciate so many posters on here for their help over the years. The way I manage C's diabetes would be dramatically different (and not in a good way) without this forum. Even though I'm a bit of nobody on this forum, I do feel connected to so many of you. There are some of you I'd like to hug even! ;) And it's frustrating to me that this "relationship" we all have with each other is being limited by what someone else feels is appropriate conversation. I don't want to join a dozen different forums each about a specific topic. I'd rather hear from people whose opinions and beliefs I already respect and admire. And some of my opinions about other topics are influenced directly by the fact that I have a CWD. But if it's a taboo subject, I know better than to bring it up here on these forums b/c they get shot down and closed. (who knows, some of you may even be able to change my opinions on things if we were ever given the chance to really talk about them) And it's sad. It's frustrating.

I've seen threads where I thought someone got really rude and childish. But for the most part, even when a thread gets emotional and heated, the conversation is still relevant, and yet they still get closed.

5. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

What you do not see, and will not see, are the e-mails and other reports that Jeff receives from posters and non-posters about certain threads. I think that it these e-mails, PMs, etc., contribute to his decision to close a thread.

6. SueM

SueM Banned

I agree and certainly I think some topics are more "taboo" than others. There are just some things that for whatever reason, Jeff won't allow discussion on (or much discussion on). Too bad really... but at the same time, he's the "king" of the forum and I'm a lowly nothing. :)

7. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In 5 years of posting here I've maybe sent Jeff one PM regarding a comment on a thread. It's depressing to think that moderating decisions are being made on the basis of non-posters private communications to Jeff.

It's lovely to think of the CWD cohort that loves to hate me having that power, just lovely :rolleyes:

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Read the thread.

10. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

I did, please point out where I missed this.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

see Brenda's comment

12. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

Thank you, I don't see where she said this whole change was from three people though?

13. Naked Cheese Chasing Guy

Naked Cheese Chasing Guy Approved members

and we've come full circle. Can we revisit that whole "sock puppet" thing?

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I worked at a middle school 20 years ago in a neighborhood with a gang problem.

The school playground was the community playground, open all the time.

A bunch of wannabes tagged it repeatedly. The school knew who they were. The police knew who they were. They were caught. They got out of class to help the janitors clean the tagging, I'm sure they were awfully helpful. The tagging continued.

So they put a big fence up around the playground, and called the problem solved.

I think there are many, many topics that impact our lives with diabetes, and many many things in our lives that diabetes impacts, including religion, vaccines, the whole list. I would like to think those can be discussed here. I don't see why they can't be, if you simply make the rule that you discuss the subject and not the person and you keep honest. Sure, it's hard sometimes to tell "for sure" if an individual is being called out personally, but I think navigating that ocean, even if you make mistakes, is better than just shutting down the whole playground.

But I'm fine with it not being my decision, because it's not my playground.

I do believe the commercial acquisition of the site is something people are right to be aware of. This site is owned by a corporation, which bought it for, I believe, $8 million. I have no idea how that funding worked, for all I know the money was a huge "overpayment" designed as almost a charitable contribution to fund all the good work done by the site and its afflilliates. For all I know, it was worth $8 to the corporation to own the site, simply as a business decision. I know this is a good product that I am infinitely grateful for, I've said before my kid's life is better, her health is better, and her life will be longer because of this site. But I also know it's usefulness comes from the information contributed here by the members of this forum. I am not informed by the owners, but by the users, in the space well provided by the owners. There's plenty of thanks to go around. And while I think it would be harder to get that information without the site being here, I believe that if I had to choose between having the information from the users on another site, or having the site without the informed users, that would be an easy decision. So, yes, while I feel great gratitude is owned the founder, and to a lesser but still substantial degree to the folks who maintain the site now, it's also reasonable to say the folks who contribute here have earned my gratitude also, and my respect.

As for the closed threads, I don't believe those are the "danger" in driving folks off. What bothers me is the random small thread with a new member where the member is personally attacked and never comes back. I've seen those. I've joined in trying to stop the attacks in those. I've reported those. Those are the threads that harm, because that person who needed help is driven away. No one is leaving CWD because I have an opinion on JDRF. But folks leave when they come here and get snarked or suspected or jumped on. That's where I'd like to see some attention.

15. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

Nope. I have never sent Jeff a letter, I have "talked to him" on the board, and he didn't respond though.
    Just to be fair, he should tell everyone who the three people are, don't you think;)

16. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

And folks leave because *some* of those one-post-wonders deserve suspicion as they attempt to wreak havoc (and sometimes succeed in that). And other folks leave because they aren't respected for the contributions they've made to the site and its users. It's kind of like real life...comings and goings and troublemakers and growth.

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

Phew - thank goodness you explained that...:cool:

18. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

So Lisa, you bring up a few things I've hesitated to mention to so far, but wondered about, so now I'm just going to ask the question.

Do the rules about what's "allowed" to be talked about come from Jeff? Or do they come from whoever now owns this site? I've been wondering this for a long time, I've just never had the nerve to ask it.

19. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Check the Terms of Use in the FAQ.

I imagine this has evolved over time.

20. wilf

wilf Approved members

I have to say I'm bemused by the folks who feel the need to complain about the terms of use of a FREE forum that connects us all.

I've learned more here than I did from our endos at the local clinic, from any reference text, or any scientific paper or study. I've also been able share insights I've picked up over the years with others.

I am grateful that Jeff got this site going originally, and I am grateful to whoever is footing the bill these days for its operation.. :cwds: