- advertisement -

im going on the pump.what should I be aware of .. . i need help

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Rawr_jordans_a_dinosaur, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Rawr_jordans_a_dinosaur

Rawr_jordans_a_dinosaur New Member

Hey, im worried about going on it because im afraid I wont be able to wear certain cloths .. will it annoy the living crap out of me ? and does it hurt to use it .. is it somthing small i could carry in my pocket? does it come in any color? i need some tips and facts .. if you could help me I would appreciate it!
    Thanks
    <3Jordan;)

2. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

Pump

You'll love it... The freedom and fewer shots!!!! Your 1 year older them my son and his mother asked if he'd give up his pump and go back on shots and he said NEVER!

You learn to live with it and you'll become so use to it that you forget that you have it on... I would say watching my son that the biggest pain is getting dressed... He's got a process down but to me it seems like a pain!!! As a parent I love it! It helps keep track of everything and he's got a constant good A1C!

You can wear anything... My son even wears it when playing basketball... They make things that can hold it with just about any clothing. Most of the time it's in his pocket he wears the Animas pump which it the smallest on the market right now and you cannot see it in his pocket!

3. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

Re

Different pump companies offer different colors, or you can get different colored case covers for your pump, too(I have different covers I use with my Animas 1250, it's silver itself, I love showing it off, always have it clipped to my pocket where it's easily seen... pink/purple/blue/orange/green/black... yeah, I've spent too much just to have different colors to go with what I'm wearing, but also has dual function, helps protect the screen). You can easily put a pump in your pocket, or clip it to your pants pocket waist line/belt and hide it with your shirt, or snip a lil hole on the inside of a pocket tshirt and thread your line thru the little hole and keep it in your shirt pocket(but why hide it? It's your toy and lifeline, and you are very lucky to have one). Also, you can find other ways to hide a pump, they have different bands and stuff you can get to wear 'em under shirts or around your leg, depending on where you want to hide it. I've found my whole pump experience very liberating, and definitely better than worrying about looking like a drug addict when a bunch of syringes fall out of my bag, not to mention easy blood glucose control is great. So far, in seven months on the pump, I've yet to have a site hurt while putting one in, or taking it out, I use the Inset infusion sets, which are pretty easy to use and done before you know it(get everything set up, pump res filled and put in, prime it, pull it back, squeeze it, pull the carteridge off, done). The whole pump experience seems like it might be alot of work, but really, with the control and everything you gain, and feeling so much better, it's worth it.

4. Nikki

Nikki Approved members

Hey, ive been on the pump for nearly a year now. I find i have had on problem with clothing and where to put my pump. Most of the time i just tuck it into my underwear, and use the band of the underwear to secure it close to the body. You can best feel the vibrate this way too, close to the hip rather than thru clothing. It really doesnt budge, and it really isnt obvious. I have still managed to wear all clothing - short skirts, dresses, tighter things, etc. There are sites that sell things to help if u really desire, theres one in particular try typing pump pak into google and ill bet ull find it. Hope that helps a little, besta luck!

5. Rob

Rob Approved members

you'll love the pump. it can be slightly irritating at times (mine always seems to buzz warnings at the worst time possible) but nothing serious.

everyone seems to have a different way of carrying it, for me, i usually just put it in my pocket. if you keep it in your pocket tho, be careful of snags. i dont know about anyone else on here, but i get snagged on all kinds of stuff. dosent really hurt or anything, just a little annoying when you try and walk, but suddnly you're being held in place.

as for size and colour, that depends on what pump you get. do some research, see what you like best. Overall, like everyone else is saying, for the first little bit it's different, but you'll get used to it quickly. and most people dont ever want to go back to shots.

6. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

don't worry about pain.... my little 3 year old is always anxious when we put the inset up to his body , but when its all over he smiles and says "it didn't hurt!!!" EVERY time.