advertisement

Im an idiot who shouldnt have a pump!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, May 29, 2015.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

This is the second time I've done something this stupid... only this is worse cus I cant even figure out what clicks I made to give myself 12 UNITS OF UNNEEDED insulin.

I just tested and was 140, so figured I'd do a small correction and had intended to give .25units... POINT 25 and I heard the pump beep almost a minute later, which let me know that whatever I did, wasn't right.

12 units?!?!

I ate lunch about 2 hours ago... whats the best food/drink to bring it up without having to leave work for too long? Anyway, I'm gonna go get two sodas and start working on them and see what I can come up with after those.

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

The soda is what I would go with and then supplement with a sandwich maybe? depending on your carb ratio. Probably will hit you much faster, soda will do that trick and have a longer bigger tail impact. So the sandwich should help. So sorry.Just test frequently. Ali

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

Whoops first thing I would do is to recheck and make sure it said 12 units and not 1.2 units. Ali

4. GChick

GChick Approved members

heh... it did.. I like triple checked. checked bolus history, checked "Current Status" screen and looked at Delivery Summery (which showed about 30 units being used so far today... which is too high of a number for me for just after lunch... particularly since it was TODAY that I decided to start eating better. MMmmm hmmm.

73 after a milkshake and about 12 oz of soda, workin on the rest. I'm more than confident that I got enough stuff to keep me up... I just don't know where I'm gonna put it all!!!:confused:

Edit: for me 12 units is about 180 grams of carbs. (though should be less since I disconnected and have no basal for the time being.)

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Is someone home with you?

6. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ooops. Sorry I neglected this post after I left work that day.

I was at work. I did not tell them (co-workers) much at the time except that I gave too much insulin (but thought it good to tell them ~something~ just in case... even though they wouldn't much know what to do if something bad happened. But at least if it got bad and help had to come at least they'd have something to tell them). I also texted my mother about what I had done... which is always fun.

It all worked out well. I had a milkshake and a 20 oz. soda which both I had to drink a lot faster than was comfortable. I also think I had no basal for about 4 hours afterwards. I don't believe I went below 55 nor over 140.

I have also never used glucagon and only had a prescription for it once and never bothered again which I suppose could have been useful.

Off topic, but I live by myself and generally as long as I'm awake when things go south, I'll be A-OK.... and 99.99% of the time if something happens when I'm asleep I'll also be ok, it'll just take longer... there's just that 0.01% of the time that ya gotta look out for dangit!

ETA: This post reminded my to lower my max bolus to 10 instead of 12 units. Only 2 units, but 30g of carbs and since I'm apparently a ditz, better safe than sorry. And its truly rare that I'll give more than 10 units in one go, so I shouldn't be inconvenienced by it too much either.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015