- advertisement -

ignorance :(

Discussion in 'Teens' started by miss_behave, Feb 17, 2007.

1. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

i have a new boyfriend. i really like him, but theres one problem. he thinks diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar :eek: :rolleyes:
    I felt really insulted, like he thinks its my fault, and i could have prevented it. :mad:

i don't really talk about diabetes to anyone, and i don't want to freak him out. i sent him a message, just saying how i felt, and a few short lines on how type 1 is an autoimmune disease. i also gave him the link to "diabetes basics" on the cwd site, if he wanted to learn a bit more.

i'm really worried i freaked him out, but i just wanted to clear things up. do you think i did the right thing? :( its so unfair, i'm feeling so crappy now.
    sorry for the length

2. Rob

Rob Approved members

been there. I've met alot of people who think that very same thing.

My advice: teach him. It's a very common miss-conception (atleast around here) than diabetics just eat too much surger. and it's not like that at all. He may be uncomfortable with it right now, but as long as he's willing to listen and learn about it, he will grow more comefortable as he learns more about it.

From my experience you will play a big part in it too. I've found that as long as you're fairly comefortable and open about it to someone they're alot more receptive to what you have to say.

In any case, you need to talk it through with him. If he really likes you he will be able to look past diabetes. It might take some work, but in the end it will be worth it.

Anyway, if ya wanna chat at all, maby get some ideas about how to talk to him about it, feel free to give me a shout via email or PM paintball_badass@hotmail.com

-Rob

3. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

if he is that uncomfortable and close minded then he isnt worth your time...

4. n_K

n_K Approved members

dont feel bad cos hes not willing to care, if all he wants is a `perfect girlfriend that has no problems` then leave him to it and he will work it out soon enuf that it doesnt and will never exist so dont let him and his cloud cookio land upset you

5. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

ditto on what everyone else said - Be open, *your* turn to be the teacher. I hate being open about my diabetes to random strangers. But, whenever someone asks me about it - or states something I know isn't true, such as type 1 being caused by eating too much - I hate to correct them (in the nicest way possible). My fiance did know hardly anything about it when I met him, and he still gets a little confused about type 1 and type 2 (and that's after knowing me for 3 years!) but he knows about mine and how to take care of me. Whether or not he knows what type it is I have. but that only comes from me being patient with him and teaching him.