- advertisement -

If Your Parents Aren't Like That

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by TheFormerLantusFiend, Oct 24, 2010.

1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Do you ever read about parents here and get mad because your parents don't do something that parents here do?

2. Sunni

Sunni Approved members

Yes all the time actually then again I've always wished that my parents would do more for and with me since I was alot younger

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Things like taking me to a doctor or getting an A1c? I'd love it if they did that...

4. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Sometimes I get mad when I see Parents doing it all, because my parents don't even ask me about my D that much anymore. I'm 100% independent. and I guess it wouldn't bother me so much except that they have always taken this stance with D and in a way I'm greatful-ish. but honestly by college how much should they really get to contribute??

5. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

never, my mom has always helped, but i started doing everything by myself bout a year or so ago, n ive had diabetes for like 6 yrs next week. i still dont understand everything wen it comes to setting up the pump, but i figured out basal pretty quick, ive known wat to do for bolus, n how to set up basics, like time, date, stuff like that. my still puts the insets on the back of my leg for me tho, since i hav a hard time seeing where im putting it, other than that, i do a lot by myself, but she's still involved, wanting to know wats going on with the pump and seeing wat im doing, so i know wat to do in the future, wen im no longer living with her.

6. beck95

beck95 Approved members

diddo. my mum has been there always to help out suggest things and all in all watch over me. my dad hasnt had sooo much to do with it but he always takes everything that mum and i say seriously. ive had d for bout 10.5 years now and i only took over my d about 3 years ago but i still cant inject my canulas:eek:. gives me the chivers.:rolleyes:

7. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Jonah and any of you other young adults

I would be more than happy to "nag" you guys and worry over you'll. I told my other dd I have MA degree in "nagging"

I usually don't go down here to the teenager/young adult section, but I've learned about this new button called quick links up there. going back up to my section. sorry for the interruption:p

8. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Hey - I'm keeping a beady eye on you all too! ;):D You don't realise but you have lots of "virtual parents" here - we just don't nag quite as much.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

I don't want to be nagged about my diabetes care;

I want parents who have earned the right to nag me about doing my diabetes care, by having themselves done my diabetes care, or simply by understanding what goes into my care.

10. icanhazjoy

icanhazjoy Approved members

Thank you! My mom stopped caring like 6.5 years ago (I've had T1 for 7 years), she doesn't even acknowledge that I'm diabetic anymore. Granted, I should be able to handle it myself but I guarantee I'm one of the worst controlled diabetics here, honestly. My boyfriend nags me more than she does.

I think it'd be okay if she had actually helped when I was in the pre-teen era more, that way I'd already have a routine laid out and everything would be natural - but she didn't and I think that makes things significantly harder. Meh.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

Has your boyfriend earned the right to nag you?
    If your control is really bad, maybe the two of you together (meaning you plus boyfriend) should go to a diabetes education class, or make an appointment with a diabetes educator to go over what should happen.

It's a lot easier to learn about medical things when there's somebody supportive learning with you, AND then your boyfriend can hear for himself what he should nag about (did you take insulin for that?) and what he shouldn't nag about (are you allowed to eat that?).

If when you got the diabetes education the first time around your parents were taking over the conversation and putting you down or you weren't interested or whatever, you might have a better experience a second time. Make sure the diabetes educator is not a "I know everything" person though.

12. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

As a non d person, we can only try to understand what your going through....I know my dd doesn't want me to nag but help.

Like adding up the carbs for a meal....or helping with insets.

she has become the expert and I am taking a lesser role...unless she asks for help.

13. icanhazjoy

I would say he does, yeah. And my control isn't bad because I don't know HOW to control, I'm just... a really negligent person when it comes to myself. He knows not to nag and say "are you allowed to eat that?" In fact, that's probably my BIGGEST pet peeve. His grandma does it all the time.

And when I got diabetes education the first time, my parents barely participated, haha. Bleh.

14. icanhazjoy

I know, but it really sucks when you EXPLAIN to someone that we CAN in fact eat whatever we want, so long as we control for it and then they still try to nag about it. That's what really gets me. Every. Time. Haha.

I used to have a friend in grade school who was pretty much my personal nurse when it came to testing. She wanted to put the strip in and "suck up the blood." Good fun, good fun.

15. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

That is frustrating trying to explaining diabetes to those who don't get it. It gets old fast.

nice that you have friends who care enough to be apart of the care.

Honestly, no one should eat junk food.....but I am guilty of that too.

16. icanhazjoy

Kind of, yeah. Haha. And I know, I'm really glad to have them, too.

And I don't share those views. We're all going to die someday- might as well do it eating what we want. :)

17. Fulvio

Fulvio Banned

Is very easy to get angry with our parents, the hardest part and the most important is try to educate them about our condition and tell them what they need to do to help us.

18. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

My mom is "like that." Which is a good thing. Sometimes I feel a little too "reminded" but I'd rather have it than not.

19. k_chickita

k_chickita New Member

Actually, for me, I feel kind of guilty about my diabetes. My parents have always been very admant about my diabetes and it's me who's been on the "ignore" scale in regards to the disease. I've had it for near four years now and it's just... annoying.