- advertisement -

If you have diabetes, and you're on Medicare...

Discussion in 'US Health Care Reform' started by Brensdad, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Then I hope you can figure out how to get all your diabetes supplies for less than $33 per month in these "competitive bid" areas.

http://www.cms.gov/apps/media/press...ge=&showAll=&pYear=&year=&desc=&cboOrder=date

The plan is to then roll this to the rest of the country in 2012. This is how government saves money on health care. Note that it makes no distinction between type 1 and type 2 diabetes, because bureaucrats came up with the competitive bidding process, not people who understand diabetes.

This is serious business folks, the health plan is, by the president's admission, basically an expansion of Medicare. Imagine trying to get strips, syringes, pump supplies, ketone strips, control solution, lancets, etc. for only $33 per month. I promise you the vendors that bid that amount will not be able to deliver quality service or products, and where will diabetics on Medicare end up?

This has been brewing for some time now, and was just released a few minutes ago.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Can you please explain exactly what the problem you have with this because I don't get it. They have renegotiated 100 test strips and 100 lancets down from $75.32 to $33.44. I don't know but $33.44 for an extremely competitive bid seems plausible to me. Sure, it might not be the most expensive test strips or the Cadillac of lancets but it still seems plausible.

Are you claiming that if your are on Medicare that all you will get is 100 test strips and noting else? It seems to me that this release only applies to 100 test strips and lancets. The syringes, pump supplies, ketone strips, control solutions are not mentioned and I would not assume that they are included in the $33.

Please elaborate what you think is really going to happen here because I can't honestly tell.

3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

http://dmecompetitivebid.com/Palmet...-Order_Diabetic.pdf?Open&cat=Suppliers~Single

In the listed CBA territories, these are the new maximum amounts Medicare will pay for the listed supplies, which goes well beyond strips and lancets. Remember that Medicare does not permit suppliers to bill patients for amounts beyond the 20% co-pay, and in order to qualify to serve Medicare patients, you must register with PECOS and meet a list of requirements that is....dizzying.

I would encourage you to look here: http://www.cms.gov/ and see the regulations that take effect for all of those that will be forced on to Medicaid next year. Remember also that the health reform bill is a model of Medicare.

Once you've reviewed all of the rules, regulations, requirements, fees, forms, etc. that Medicare requires of its suppliers, I would like for you to imagine what type of provider will be selling boxes of 50 test strips for $15.

Oh, and if one rule contradicts another, don't worry, Medicare just denies the claim. That only happens about 500 times through the various 200+ page provider manuals.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

Well ... that was certainly clear and concise. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I will read your links but, dude, I'm begging you to explain to me, and others not intimately familiar with government programs, exactly what this means to me. You say it goes beyond listed supplies but can you throw me a bone here? Show me.

I'm going to be completely honest here ... I know we've had our differences but I GUARANTEE YOU if you explain to me and convince me that these programs or regulations are going to affect me or other diabetics I will be your staunchest ally. I am asking you to do the leg work and convince me - not scare me. Don't throw a link up and expect me to digest it and come to the same conclusion you do. SHOW ME THE MONEY or lack thereof.

EDIT: Wow! Medicare pays for batteries? Still .... you link a one page PDF and you expect me to somehow glean from this the end of the world as we know it? $1.25 for a battery? Do I really need a co-pay for that? I mean WTF, dude?

What.
    am.
    I.
    missing.
    ?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

As I understand it the kind of provider who accepts small payments from medicare for one service or product is the same one who knows that they will be able to charge medicare more money on something else to make up the difference.

Ever heard of $50 a piece aspirin tablets?

In the negotiation war between the bureaucrats and the providers sometimes the provider gets the shaft and sometimes the bureaucrat gets it. But the only one who consistently gets it is you and I.

There is just no feasible way that even an army of taxroll supported bureaucrats can logically know how much to pay for every item and service that 300 million Americans are buying.

However, 300 million Americans competing for business, choosing and rejecting health care providers can take advantage of Smith's invisible hand to get the lowest cost most efficient and fair health care system possible.

6. ascmd01

ascmd01 New Member

American Summit on Cardiometabolic Disease 2011

If you really want to play an active role for the society, do not miss to attend a seminar under the title ASCMD going to be held at Tinley Park this year. Getting to this podium will enable you to disseminate the same information to the world!

7. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Remember something for all, as follows Medicare, follows all other private and public insurance. So, when there are onerous Medicare issues, everyone else with insurance will be in lockstep. This is why the original post is important. Medicare rules and guidelines usually get adopted by the insurance industry at large. Which is why this and competitive bidding is so dangerous to our well being.