- advertisement -

If you had told me ten years ago

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 27, 2013.

1. skyblufig

skyblufig Approved members

I hope to be you someday. ;)

2. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

Along the same lines as the original post:

My son woke up in the 60's today, took carbs and ate a light breakfast that he decided he needed two units for and caught a ride to his varsity soccer game. He took whatever carbs he decided he needed for the game, played about 40 minutes, his team won and they had a tailgate party after the game. We missed the tailgate party because we were at our daughter's game across town. He said that he ate three desserts at the tailgate party and guessed that they were high carb after tasting them, so he decided to bolus for 170 carbs:eek: (We found all this out hours later). Three hours later he was 89, and ate a handful of nuts. Two hours later, he's hungry and wants a snack so he tests again and he's 106.

He hasn't had to sit out a minute of practice or a game and is almost always in range after it's over. He decides all of his own carb and insulin intakes and we find out later (if we ask).

If you told me nearly five years ago when he was diagnosed that this would be possible I would have never believed it!

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I hope I can be like you sooner rather than later!! lol. It would be awesome not to have a pit in my stomach whenever i drop my daughter off at school

4. shannong

shannong Approved members

Here's what I am wondering: how does the worry of your child having a bad low go away? As your child gets older and takes on more of their own care, are you more confident as a parent that they will prevent lows, or properly treat lows, or do you just put the worry aside?

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

We're 7+ years in to this, and I have to say that there haven't been a lot of "bad lows". There were a few times where DD got a bit dizzy/shaky, a couple of times at night where she woke up low and feeling rotten and I felt like a heel, and one memorable evening playing outside in snowstorm where she suddenly lay down and wanted to sleep (she was low). But in the larger scheme of things, these were non-events.

Appendicitis was bad. Her getting the flu and vomiting repeatedly was bad. Dislocating her shoulder was bad. Falling and cracking her head on the counter so bad she needed stitches was bad.

It's all relative, and for us at least lows have not been an issue. We treat them when they occur or are looking likely and move on. We've always been prudent and checked a fair bit, and DD is carrying on with that tradition.

So no, I don't worry about lows at all. As the parent of a teen I have enough other things (unrelated to diabetes) to worry about.. :rolleyes:

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It helps that DD has never had a seizure or a low so profound that she was unable to treat and recover without too much fan fair. Also that she wears her cgm and I can look back and ask her how she managed when she had that low at 4 pm. Also, she really knows her body. Her instinct about when a low is getting bad is better than any meter or cgm and she treats and moves on. I still remind her to check her stash and I'll toss juice boxes in her sports bag if I can see that she's been going through them at a good clip. ;)

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I don't think you ever put the worry aside, but as they take better and better care of themselves in lots of situations, it boosts everyone's confidence. As dd became more and more independent, we'd go over worst case scenarios (as she rolled her eyes). We'd go over plans for different situations and the importance of check lists when she was going out of town away from her stock of supplies. Mostly, we did this to make ourselves feel better because thankfully, she's been great about stepping up.

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Driving (maybe next year) worries me a little, but other than that I agree with Sarah and Wilf and others, you do get to a point where you don't actually worry much.

9. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Yay! \o/

[The message you have entered is too short. Lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.]

Yippee! \o/

:D

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son is 19 and no longer living at home (away at college, been gone a month). I assumed going into this that I would have random worries, but oddly I do not. I think it's a combination of trust and preparedness. I've worked pretty hard the years leading to this to arm him with information, and he's a researcher by nature and likes to know things.

It helps that he never ignores his diabetes and now that he's on his own, he actually takes it more seriously than he did when I was helping out. He wears his cgm 24/7 (he never wore it at home) and his control is tighter than it's ever been. He has never had a seizure or a low that needed treatment and he feels his lows strongly, so that factors in of course. He is close friends with two diabetics on campus, one is in his degree field and they spend a decent amount of time together, so he has some support there.

I will say my biggest worry is drinking, but I can't lay around at night and worry about that so I've personally just learned to pray and trust. He's being very responsible so far. He is in a pretty difficult degree plan (engineering) so truth there is also that he simply does not have the time!

He's home this weekend and it's odd that diabetes isn't really on my radar anymore, at least not on the minutia. We went out on the lake yesterday and I didn't pack anything, though he did ask me to grab some glucose on my way out of the house.

Trust and prayer, that's where I am these days.

11. Olivia'sDad

Olivia'sDad Approved members

From those of us who are so far from this; Thank you.

12. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

For the mom of a newly diagnosed 7 year old, this is a great little post. It makes you realize what can be, when my biggest worry is that I want her life to be as normal as possible.

13. shannong

shannong Approved members

It's like a breath of fresh air just to read others experience that one day, I won't be staring out the window watching my child running around playing tag or hockey (or whatever) and doing calculations in my head to figure out if he ate enough carbs to be engaging in this activity and when I need to test him next, etc, etc.

There is a lot of spontaneous activity with a 7 year old, so I feel like I am constantly "on" and when I get tired and the guard comes down for even a moment - he could have a low. It feels that way sometimes. But I suppose, after reading all your comments, even a low is not the end of the world (there are bigger worries). Thanks for reminding me.

14. LJM

LJM Approved members

Love that you are there. May it last until she starts driving;)

That is not too bad either, really.