- advertisement -

If you had told me ten years ago

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

that my kid would leave the house at 7:15 this morning and not be done with school and away games till 8:30 - that she'd leave with a 68 and a juice in hand, that she'd get lunch from the cafeteria (not packed) and that I might not hear more than a, "on the bus to the game, xoxo ;-) ;-)" text AND that I would not worry at all... all day.... well, I wouldn't have believed it. But so it is. ;)

2. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Sounds like today was a good day! :)

Christine

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Love this! (And find it hard to believe that I will be there someday. :))

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That's fantastic!

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Really need a "like" button for this! :D:D

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I just remember so well all those years when I did worry, even recent years.;)

And there seem to have been a bunch of posts lately from newly dx'd parents expressing fear for the future and overall anxiety - I figured they should hear from us old folk that they kids really do turn out just fine :cwds:

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

Great to know!!! I really can't imagine, can't even think that there will be a day, a full day, that I don't worry.

Thanks for sharing.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

That's great to hear Sarah! We're in a similar spot at this end.

DD drove herself and her younger sister home from school today (my wife and I were both out of town), stopped in at home for a snack which she measured and bolused, and now is out with her friends for the evening with the car. I could not have imagined this 7 years ago. :)

She measures before driving, and we confirm by checking the meter (with restrictions of driving privileges she doesn't). She is often a DD for her friends, and when she thinks she may want to partake we'll drive and pick up. Did I mention she runs cross-country and handles all that as well? :)

We help out when she wants us to, but it's getting less and less.

It is very gratifying, and for those of you in the trenches I can only say - keep at it! It's worth the effort you're putting in, and it is not forever. :cwds:

10. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I love hearing stuff like this. I can't imagine being in that place, but its very comforting to think we will be there some day.

11. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Thank you for posting this! I often wonder what the future holds for my DS and I love hearing things like this :)

12. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Thanks for the post.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Driving we get to next year :eek: It will be like every step, I'll worry at first but eventually, like every previous stage, (I hope) we'll get the routine down and feel good about it.

They really are all kids to be proud of. ;) It's not the easiest road, but it's what they must navigate and it's wonderful to hear that Amy is doing such a great job. :cwds:

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

This post made my day!

15. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Thank you for sharing :) I'm in the micromanagement stage right now with a 4 year old, so it is nice to know that someday we will be at that point. :)

16. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Thanks Sarah, I love your post and I know what you are trying to convey, but please tell me your kid was a nightmare when she was 13 and now she has come out the other side it has all worked out:cool: I need something to give me hope!

I do find that after 4 years my anxiety has lessened considerably since he started feeling his lows (until around May this year he was completely hypo unaware) but as he only tested and bolused once this entire school week (one test in 35 hours ....) lows aren't really a problem anymore... Oh for one of those compliant children ... I actually have two of those but neither of them have D ...

I will continue to live in hope that someday I will feel the same. Thanks.

17. MyHandsAreFulll

MyHandsAreFulll Approved members

Thank you for this encouragement!

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I actually think 10/11 was our hardest time - maybe girls "mature" (into beasts) earlier :p

It's great that he's feeling his lows, I think that's a huge help... when they bother to listen to their bodies that is.;)

We still have work to do on being independent with great "control" but yes, I do think it will come. Hang in there! :cwds:

19. RachelK

RachelK Approved members

Hearing these sorts of things makes me happy. Today was our 6 month anniversary of diagnosis.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yep! I've got 2 12 year olds and my husband announced this morning that he is moving into the basement until puberty passes:D LOL, even the cat is female!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. We are now venturing into the world of more independence and self care. I have to say, so far she's done really well, but we have had our moments...and will continue to do so. I know we will survive though!