- advertisement -

If I can let him do this, I can let him do anything

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MA Momma, Jun 14, 2010.

1. MA Momma

MA Momma Approved members

On Friday, I signed Wyatt up for his first summer sleepaway camp. This will be the first time he's been away since diagnosis and I think I'm more anxious than he is. He leaves on the 24th and will be gone for 4 weeks. :eek: The camp supervisor told me they have 4 other campers with Type 1- 2 of which will be in Wyatt's group. YAY!! The camp has given me all of the carb counts for the meals and snacks they will be having. They have been so supportive and I know he is going to have so much fun and not have to worry about anything but having fun.

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Oh Yikes!! it seems so soon. is the camp far away?

guess we can worry together, mine is going away with my sister to island far far away

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Wow, a 4 week non-d camp just a few short weeks after dx? You're very brave! We he be able to call you regularly?

4. allisa

allisa Approved members

Don't want to sound like a wet blanket...and maybe while he is honeymooning this could be a better time to go...but 4 weeks with non-stop activity .....would scare the crap out of me :eek:

I see you are in Mass....would you opt for the Joslin camp ? OR does he have his heart set on THIS camp ?

Sorry....hope I don't sound judgemental...but...I would be speechless at the thought of my son going away to camp for 4 weeks so shortly after dx.....swimming drops his blood in the night like a stone & I would be angst-ridden.

Joslin has a great program & helps the kids learn to count their carbs & everyone there ( counselors, staff ) GET IT !!

Best of luck to both of you !!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I know another mom in RL who was brave enough to send her D son, fairly newly dxd, to a non-D camp and it went well. ;) So folks do it, and it can work, but I would caution you to remind the camp counselors that a honeymooning D kid isn't really the same as a kid with "established" D. I would want, at the very least, to have a regular daily email of the bgs for the day and the activities and food consumed so that I could make decisions about getting him to a good place for the overnight hours and to request overnight checks as needed.

Good luck!:cwds:

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

That is a BIG step! I admire your courage! Hope everything goes well.

And 4 weeks!:eek: Here I thought I was a big girl letting my kid go to D camp for the weekend.:eek: