- advertisement -

ideas needed to bring "up" but not WAY up

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Dec 1, 2008.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

Carter's been 45 at 9:30 the last two nights. When we give a juice box and crackers or gluc tab he's 250+ 1/2 hour later. Anyone have ideas to kids bring up from a low without going too far? Sat. night going from 45 to 300+ had to really mess him up and make him miserable. I panic and want to get him up fast but don't want to keep overdosing on carbs.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Is that a 4 oz juice box? How many grams total?

3. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Milk
    protein and starch

How many Glucose tabs are you giving i would, only give one and monitor.
    I read you are also giving juice and this is probably helping with the high juice works great at bringing up lows fast, and making T go high.

Basal testing if you have noticed a pattern

This is what i do in this situation at night

with T (5 years old)i give him half a glucose tab and a 1/4 cup of milk,

with S 2 glucose tabs Milk and some protein and starch

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

That's why I almost never use juice. If I do, she gets just a sip or two. I also had to learn to be patient (easier said than done). I'll give a glucose tab or 2, depending on the low, and wait 10-15 minutes to recheck before giving anything else. If I know she's on the way down (has a lot of insulin left), I don't usually wait.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Like the PP, I usually give a dextrose/glucose tab, wait 15 mins, then if BG is in range, follow up with some chocolate milk, usually about 3-4 fl. oz.
    If BG is not in range, I give another tab and wait again.

6. Kara

Kara Approved members

My son's younger than yours but usually I'll do a half cup of milk. I also found that certain crackers have about 8 carbs and I'll use those sometimes if he's not too sleepy. There's also some little organic fruit strips that have the same amount, they don't spike him too high, but they don't seem to keep the sugar stable long so I usually have to follow up with something else. He won't eat glucose tabs. :(

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I took twodoor2's advice (thanks again, Marsha!) and figured out Jayden's BCR...on average, how much does one gram of carb bring up her bg? I took a time when she was pretty stable for the day, fed her one glucose tab, and tested to see where it took her. One tab raised her bg 32-34 points the three different times I tried it, so I decided one gram raised her 8 points. That has been a huge help in treating her lows. If she's 50, then I know she only needs six grams of carb to get her up around 100. We rarely have the spikes after lows now unless she self-treats, which is a whole 'nother story, LOL!

Maybe you can figure out his BCR and then that will give you a better idea of how to treat the low?

8. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

We usually give 2 or 3 tabs (8-12g) when in that range, and wait at least 20 minutes. Juice alone is not fast enough for this and sometimes it takes 20 minutes for it to come up.

A lot of times at night we'll give 1 or 2 tabs plus 1/2 a juice box or yogurt for the same total of carbs. The glucose gets in there faster and then the other stuff holds longer.

We never do 15g of "fast" carbs plus some slow carbs to follow-up, he'd definitely be 200+ if we did that.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

1 to 2 glucose tabs until in range...I also retest 1 hour after and 2 hrs after (toes are great fro this during the night) and see if she is going up or creeping back down. This way, I know the pattern...if going down, then she gets something protein - pb, milk, cheese, something that doesn't really cause her to spike, but holds her nice and steady!

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Going down to 45 could be causing rebounds, do you use juice at other times w/o this happening? In fact the 45 could already be on it's way back up. A good way to tell if it's a rebound is that if it's hard to get the high back down. Are the highs hard to get back down? When Seth was 7 we used juice for everything under 80 w/o him going that high.

Have you adjusted the insulin that's making him 45 yet?