- advertisement -

Ideas for Pump Start (and Dexcom!)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Mar 13, 2014.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

So, YAY insurance covered a dexcom!! We got it yesterday, and my husband is wearing it right now and so far loves it!! But I'm getting a little worried about how this is all going to go with my DD...

Those of you who had little ones go on the pump or dexcom, do you have any tips/tricks to help them get used to the idea? In theory, she likes it, but she hates anything being stuck to her - even a bandaid irritates her!! Our nurse suggested just trying some IV3000 or tegaderms in different places to get her used to the sensation of something attached to her? She is refusing to even try on the belts I got her to wear her pump in...

What about the dexcom? How do I sell another thing attached to her to a 3 year old???

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The type of tape makes a big difference. My daughter (14) cannot stand IV3000 or Tagaderm. We use Hypafix. Get samples of whatever you can and let her choose. We also tape both around the tape with 2" strips and then over the entire thing with a 4" square. I know they say not to tape over the transmitter, but as my daughter logically argued, "What is the difference between a layer of hypafix and underwear?" The overtapement keeps it secure for the entire life of the sensor, whereas before we were having to retape about every other day. If the corners curl up, I trim them.

Even a 3 year old may understand that the device will help her feel better by catching lows before they get bad. It really does improve their quality of life with catching lows and highs so much faster.