- advertisement -

Icee

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Treysmom, May 2, 2009.

1. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Do you bolus for Icee? Or slushee? The only carb count I can find is 16 oz is 31 carbs.

2. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I don't think Kaleb has had one of those since dx but he does get a Mister Misty from DQ and they have a boatload of carbs. I think 96 for a large.

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

Nathan had his first several months ago. He is now in love!! I don't know the carb count. What we do is buy it at the grocery store and then bolus 35 carbs over an hour. Then we shop and he drinks and we see very few lows from the shopping. Grocery shopping usually drops Nathan like a rock.

Oh, the cup size is 32 oz.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

5. wilowndmomof3

wilowndmomof3 Approved members

Storm loves Icee I think we do 75 for a large one I think, been a while since he had one.

6. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Here's something we did last year. We got the ice from a slush puppie machine and mixed it with one of those packets of flavoring you add to bottled water. 0 Carbs!! And it was good! We did one of the sugar free hawaiian punch packets and it tasted great. Our count was 80 carbs for 16 oz of regular slush puppy.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

We get them at Target sometimes - the Icee brand. The nutritional info is about 29 carbs for 8 oz for most fruit flavors. See here: http://www.iceedistributors.com/flavor.htm

This seems to be fairly accurate for the ones he gets.

8. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor loves Icees. He usually gets a small and we do 30 carbs on either a 30minute or 1 hour square. I decide on how I am going to bolus depending on what his starting blood sugar is and how long I think it will take him to drink it (dependent on what we are doing at the time). We have had pretty good success with Icees so far.

9. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I am so glad you brought this up. :cwds: We haven't had Icee's since diagnosis cause I was afraid he would go sky high and I couldn't gt the insulin and curbs to match up. It has started to get hot here. I am going to take a stab at it.

10. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Jake loves the lemonade flavor (Coke being his 2nd choice but easier to find) and Burger King has it sometimes. I let him get them but he is so high hours later, even with treating I am beginning to think they are evil. (I've been meaning to post about it but keep forgetting. So THANKS!)

Maybe YDMV?

I think there is a machine to make it at home and I've considered getting one and adding SF lemonade for a summer treat!