- advertisement -

Ice Cream combined with a 2.6 mile walk...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Jun 8, 2011.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Ok, I am not sure what to do. Vince is out walking with friends to get ice cream. The ice cream place is 2.6 miles round trip approx. He left the house for the walk at BG 115... I'm sure by the time he gets there and in this heat, he will NEED carbs... but, how do we decide how much insulin he should have? At this point, we told him to call us when he gets back to his friends and we will guide him at that point as to how much insulin. He would normally get about 1:6 at this time around dinner time, and we figure about 60 carbs for the cone he is getting.... UGH. Do you think it's ok to wait until he gets back to do insulin? Is it possible he may not need insulin?? :eek: will he go low? gosh, I have no clue what to do here... this is another one of those "firsts".

Thanks!

Kathy

2. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

If it was me...I would not worry about insulin for the icecream if he is walking back and it is hot...I would wait til he got home. Tyler would probably drop so we would play the wait and see game and deal with a high IF it happened...but again, that's just what I would do. :)

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Given the nature of ice cream (i.e. FAT), I think it is fine to wait until he gets home. I usually don't give Hana insulin until after she eats ice cream - otherwise, she drops low and then goes way high later given the delayed reaction from the fat and digestion.
    Or we also do a 30/70 extended bolus (not sure if your son is pumping?). I give 30% up front and 70% over 1 1/2 hours to avoid the delayed spike.
    I say given the heat and exercise, he will be fine until he gets home. Yum!

ETA - okay, just saw he is MDI. Then I would just give the shot when he gets home. I would think the timing would work good - counteract the delayed rise in BS from the fat.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  4. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

What/How do you normally shoot for ice cream? With my DD we find ice cream does not hit all at once so the full amount up front makes her go low if we are already starting at a low number, but within 30 min the numbers are already climbing. Last time we did it we tried 60% up front and the rest 2 hrs later. It worked well until after the second shot wore off, then the numbers climbed again and we had to correct. My DD is very active so a walk barely changes her numbers, but to be safe with whatbi have seen so far in my DD I would prob have her cover 30% or so up front and cover more based on the numbers later. If youmare confident the heat/walk brings your son down you may be better off waiting til he gets home (if he comes home right away)

The other day we tried a water based gelato. It was awesome! We shot for the whole thing up front and the number never climbed afterward. It was the first time we tried it, but its effect was way different than regular ice cream for my DD

5. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

My son would need to be higher than 115 to walk 2 1/2 miles in the first place. I would have him check when he got there and determine how many ice cream carbs to cover based on his bg level considering he is walking back again, as well.

6. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Welll, ends up he had 3/4 of his ice cream, it melted too fast! and then on top of that he had a small Slushee!!!! :eek: His friends mom then picked them up so they didnt have to walk back ... He should be calling me soon with a BG number....

Thanks for all of your comments, i really appreciate it!

Kathy