- advertisement -

Ice Bucket Challenge - We need something similar!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nicole N, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

The Ice Bucket Challenge has inspired awareness and unprecedented donations!!

Ice Bucket Challenge Donations Continue to Exceed Expectations

Washington, D.C. (August 18, 2014) — As of Monday, August 18, The ALS Association has received $15.6 million in donations compared to $1.8 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 18). These donations have come from existing donors and 307,598 new donors to The Association.

I wish we had thought of this!

2. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

That challenge is all over the place!! It is amazing. Getting so many celebrities on-board has sure helped.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

There have been many excellent ideas for fundraising. Once upon a time a pink ribbon was a novel idea. Walkathons were unheard of at one time too. I agree that great and enticing ideas are fantastic.

Is the ALS idea a great idea? Well yes and no. It certainly is sensational and many many people seem to enjoy participating in it. And it has resulted in much more money going to ALS. But lets throw a little cold water on that idea too - like a nasty chain letter the idea is coercive in nature. Once challenged a person has a choice between making a donation in a predetermined amount (a win for ALS), dousing themselves with ice water and forwarding the challenge ( a win for ALS), or being ridiculed for not participating. I believe giving is a wonderful virtue but think that is loses meaning when one does not decide for themselves to whom and how much to give. There are even other organizations out there on the web crying foul that ALS is taking donations away from their cause, a claim I personally think goes too far. Yet on the other hand in countries with higher tax rates there is less charitable giving. Another blogger I was reading labeled those who choose the ice water as "Slacktivists" because they might not give money and choose instead to pat themselves on the back by posting a challenge to others. This blogger recognized one of the flaws in the challenge then unfortunately went on to say that the challenge SHOULD have required those who choose water to give a smaller amount thus lessening their free will even further and drives home his point by ridiculing these people with the label of slacktivists. If someone were to make such a challenge to me I might call them a bully, I might challenge them to match my receipts tag for tag so that my personal preference in charities would get more, but I dont want charities to be pitted against one another and dont want to be a bully either.

Ridiculing people for not sharing your values, giving to a different charity, or giving in an amount different than what was challenged will eventually have a backlash which will result in undermining the natural urge to be a giving person. All charities may suffer if the trend to mock people into giving spreads. Some people and some countries have high rates of giving while others do not proving that generosity can be dampened.

Let's all be giving and generous to the greatest extent that we can. Let's give to whom we want and in the amount we want as often as we want. Let's make giving a positive experience people will want to do again and again and again. Let's never pass a bell ringer without emptying our front pockets because that small amount of change is what keeps him on the corner. Lets set up automatic payment plans on our banks bill pay system. Let's ask the school if we can give directly instead of buying the frozen pizza yielding a small percent of the total to the school. Let's plan for and find ways to give. But lets also do so mindfully so that our donations do not go to the organization that only forwards 1% to the cause, or to the organization that funds terrorists, or even to the method that is ever so slightly coercive.

So rather than creating a challenge like the ALS challenge lets do something better. Truly creative and sensational ideas do not happen everyday but when they do they make waves. I used to work at an organization in which one of the executives always said "never come to me with a complaint unless you have a better idea." Well, I don't have a more sensational idea but I do think it's cleaner. Just give privately in an amount that is right for you every single payday to the cause of your choice and do it without fail and with no excuses. If you use the auto bill pay you can set it up for one dollar then next payday double that then next pay day increase it again - it will be painless.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I see nothing negative about the ice bucket challenge. No one is being ridiculed for not doing it. You either do it or you don't. I've never seen anyone demand a donation of a certain amount of money and I've never seen anyone ask for a receipt. Who one earth would know if you donated or not? It's a fabulous way of promoting awareness of a truly awful condition. I wouldn't even want to jump on the viral social media campaign bandwagon for diabetes. Let ALS have its day in the sun.

5. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I haven't seen anything negative, but I have not read everything. Yesterday, a mom on FB said essentially, "Let the ALS people have the spotlight; don't try to be copycats." Her words are similar to Alan's (Lakeman): "Do something DIFFERENT. Like, in November, during diabetes awareness month, write hope on our hands in blue and take a pic, posting it and asking others to do the same.
    Let's be creative, not copycats."

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed.
    I take this now as a challenge for those of us in the diabetes trenches to come up with something of our own.
    The way to get exposure for a cause is to make a bold statement. Be it big or small, every penny helps.
    As an aside, one of the biggest fundraisers for ALS ice bucket challenge died this weekend in a freak and unfortunate accident on Nantucket. Someone with so much talent and promise is gone from the ALS fundraising team.

7. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

The ice bucket is fun but definitely a flash in the pan one time deal. It's working great for ALS but I would not expect similar results from any copycats anyway.