- advertisement -

iBG Star Meter: Anyone Using It?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KarenRI, Aug 14, 2012.

1. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

If so, what do you like? Dislike? My son is asking about maybe getting one.

Thanks!

2. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

I've been using it for 2 months now and I absolutely love it! It is so helpful to be able to look at graphs, averages, and standard deviation without having to dig around to find a cord. I have noticed so many trends that I wouldn't have caught before. The only downside I have really noticed is that the case is kind of awkward shaped. It is a square and it is not quite long enough to fit the multiclix in. The lancer it comes with is your garden variety lancer that hurts more than the multiclix. You also have to make sure you refill your prescription a day or two before you intend to pick them up because most pharmacies don't keep them in stock. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Is your insurance covering the strips? Last I heard no major companies were which influences my switching at this time.

4. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

My insurance, blue cross blue shield, is covering them. It took prior authorization but it wasn't a big deal. My endo claimed it would help patient, doctor communication to provide tighter control. Insurance approved it that day. However, when I called the insurance company before I got the script, they claimed they would not even consider covering them since it was a new product. They are tier 3 but there is a savings card that brings it down to $20.

5. Soccermom

Soccermom Approved members

I just spoke to our insurance company, Aetna, and they are covering the test strips.

6. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Thank you!!!

I do have a question. The iBG meter would be for my teenage son. If he were to email me his BG data from his iPhone, would I be able to view all the graphs and trending from my iPhone, as long as I have the iBG Star app too?

7. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

If he emailed you the information, you would only be able to see a text version of the logbook and averages. You can sync the meter to multiple devices though. You could download the meter to your phone every night or every few days so you could still keep and eye on the graphs and trends. Hopefully that makes sense.

8. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My daughter is trying to hard sell of how great it would be to have her phone, iPod and meter in one. I agree it would be great, she'll love it when she goes to college in 3 yrs. ;)

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Is the case it comes with just for the meter itself? The reason I am asking is because one of the posters on another forum said it didn't come with a case but I think he was talking about a case that would hold both his iphone or ipod touch and the meter together. could you post a picture?

10. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Thank you, Lizzie, it does make sense. I would just download the app and plug his meter into my iPhone to get all the data. I like that.

Thanks!!!

11. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Any updates on how this is working out for those using it? My dd uses the freestyle flash right now and we love the tiny sample size it requires. How much blood do these strips require?
    Just saw this product in the Apple store today, so had to come home and search the forums for it :rolleyes:
    Thanks for any new updates...

12. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I bought this for Hana over the summer. She used it twice! I don't know, it just seems like a hassle to keep it charged and to have to plug it in to the iPhone (though you can use it without the phone). Much quicker to just pull out her One Touch and check. She had asked for it and I bought it thinking it would be something "fun" to keep things interesting for an 11 year old. But she forgot about it. It's been sitting on the island in the kitchen since July! LOL Now, her phone is a Droid so she couldn't use it with her phone. She was using it with my iPhone when we were together. She is getting my husband's iPhone in December when he upgrades and she says she will start using it then.

13. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We've been using it off and on for a bit but we haven't got it tested yet so we are not using it full-time.

A few comments so far:

My daughter likes it, especially because the iPod displays "cool" graphics while the sample is being analysed.

We haven't used the communication feature much yet, which is why we got the meter. We were hoping that it could be set up to automatically text the BG readings, but you need to go in and email the file if you want to transfer the data. This makes it a bit too cumbersome for us right now.

We haven't used the graphing or data features yet because we haven't used the meter enough.

The sample size is 0.5 microlitres and our other meters use 0.6 so there is not too much difference for us.

As far as the case goes, it is pretty compact and fits the strips, small meter and lancing device. There is no room for the iPod or iPhone. As some other posters have said, the lancing device is not too good and there is not enough room in the case for a multiclix.

The meter plugs in to the bottom of the iPod or iPhone where the charging cord plugs in. I would not be comfortable leaving the meter plugged in to the iPod when it was not being used.

Final comment - the communication capability is a step in the right direction but having to rely on another device makes it not too useful for us. You can use it as a stand-alone meter too, but there is no communications or graphing capability.