- advertisement -

I was discharged from Animas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrokenPancreas, Sep 22, 2010.

1. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I just found out that I was discharged from Animas.

I don't get it? When L first got the pump, I called the animas rep every day multiple times, that I thought I was being a PITA.

After a while, I had things figured out, and didn't need to call so much.

Anyone else been discharged? I don't know why, but this makes me feel like I was fired or something:(:(:(

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that!!
    I'm not familiar with how Animas works as we went with MM. We had a trainer who helped us and that is who we contacted with our questions. If the rep doesn't want to answer questions, they should be able to send you to someone that can!! Those reps make $$$$ they should bend over backwards to people like you who buy their product---after all if you weren't a client, they wouldn't make the money.
    Unacceptable in my opinion!!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

What do you mean by "discharged?" I've never heard that term in this context before.

4. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Thanks.
    I think I was discharged because I wasn't calling enough in the last couple of weeks. Do they get paid every time we call?

I mean, I called SO MUCH in the beginning, after a while, I had no more questions. and if I needed to do a temp basal, didn't think I had to call and ask permission?

Was I supposed to call and do comedy bits or something?:rolleyes:

5. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I know, it's sort of harsh isn't it?

I hope I still get to call the 800 number if questions come up

I have really good people at the endo's office, so I know they will be able to help.

I hope I was "honorably discharged":eek:

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I don't understand what you mean by "discharged" either. Who told you that you were discharged? Perhaps it is like being discharged from a rehab center, they've provided the initial support and now you are on your own?

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I'm confused... from your sig file, it looks like you aren't yet pumping, but it sounds like you are...

By "discharged," have they just "released" you from their care, like a hospital does when you check out and go home?

If that's the case, I'd be flattered that they feel I've got the hang of pumping!

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm confused.

Did you get a call? Or a letter saying that you were '"discharged"? And from what? Training? Customer support? :confused:

9. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

That could be it.
    Oh, I need to change my signature!!:)

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

They have a support desk with pump trainers and nurses for those who are starting out. Do you mean that you were discharged from this service? I can see after a certain amount of time that they feel you don't need as much hand holding in the beginning.

I look it as a good thing, you're getting the hang of pumping!

Remember, Animas is always there for you, you just call in on the general number.

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I never called Animas for questions after we had pump training. If I have tehcnical problems with the pump, I call. But when I need to make dosing changes, I call the endo. And so should you. Animas should answer any technical questions you have, but anything else about your daughter diabetes care should be answered by your Endo practice - that's not why Animas is there

12. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I agree - dosing and all the things about her care should go through your edo team.

Animas is there if you have questions about how to use the pump or its special features -- or it's having a problem and popping error messages.

13. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I don't know what "discharged" means though -- we're five years in and were never "discharged." Still call the 800 number or email the rep if something goes wrong or have a question about upcoming products, etc.

14. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We've always had great customer service from Animas. I'm sure they will still answer any questions you may have.

15. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Not in the beginning.

I dealt strictly with the RN from Animal with bs numbers and changes.
    This is what I was instructed to do.

I think they do this with all new pumpers though. It's a very good thing they offer, but I just ran out of questions.

16. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We were discharged too. It's not because you don't call in enough or anything, it's because they feel you have a control and understanding of what needs to be done and they don't need to be available for hand holding anymore. As mentioned, you still have access to the help line. When we were discharged, we were told to work with our Endo to tweak basals and ratios. Believe me, its a good thing.

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

That's not true - when we started we had training with the pump trainer, and that's the last time I ever heard from her. All dosing changes were done by our treating physician.

18. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Same with us. After the pump trainer that is all I heard from Animas. Endo does the rest...

19. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Nancy, it is true.
    Maybe they changed since you got Emma her Ping.

I was told that all new Pinger's get thirty days with the RN from Animas.

Why in the world would I make that up? Call them and ask them:rolleyes:

20. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Thanks Wendy!
    At least I'm in good company!:)