- advertisement -

I thought Dexcom CS was supposed to be better....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzy731, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Bethany was out of range for 2 hours at school on Monday (it came back on its own). Called CS and he told me that it wasn't normal for the cgm to be out of range for that amount of time and it could mean the transmitter is going. He said to press the reset button after 20 min if this happens again. Well it did today and the reset button worked but I called CS today and they told me that it's normal for the monitor to go out of range sometimes and that pressing the reset button will fix the problem. I don't know about anyone else but if this happens consistently, having my daughter press the reset button every time is not a solution to the problem. Also she wouldn't answer my question directly when I asked her if I didn't hit the reset button and it went out of range for 2 hours again would they replace the transmitter. So I'm uploading the information to her so she can evaluate what's going on and then she will call me tomorrow with her resolution.

Thought on the above anyone?

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Well, if it's not the battery then it's hard to tell what's going on. Maybe with the download uploaded to them they can see something else.

We have had fairly rare 1+ hour drops as well. I even called Dexcom to see if it was a battery issue because it was a few days before he was going to overnight camp. I didn't even know there was a place where you could see the battery status of the transmitter.

In any event, when I see multiple dropouts I change the sensor. That always fixed my problems.

Did you change the sensor?

3. Lizzy731

No I didn't change it yet but I did have an out of range on the last site but I chalked it up to the fact that it was day 10. It never came back in range before I changed the site...was going on an hour at the time.

You can check the battery life in settings. I just don't like the inconsistency with CS....I had one guy tell me it wasn't normal and another person and supervisor saying it was normal for a 2 hour out of range. How can that be normal? Also the supervisor said the previous CS rep documented I said it was out of range for 15 min when I clearly said 2 hours and he even commented on that.

Just trying to wrap my head around this all...I thought I left these issues behind when I packed up the guardian

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Sorry you had issues with C/S...they have been 100% helpful to me, and knowledgeable, and I call almost every week.

5. Lizzy731

What issues do you have that you call about?

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We were having a bunch of ???. Changed the sensor out and it was fine. They replaced the sensor.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I've only called Dexcom twice - but both were on the exact same issue within a few hours. We kept getting out of range, then ???, then out of range, then ???. They suggested a wait of another hour. It didn't work so I called back and they suggested we turn it off and on. Worked perfectly.

We get the question marks randomly. Usually, the signal picks back up and we're fine. If they last more than 5-10 minutes, the kids reset the transmitter. For us, it's an acceptable solution because it's easy and quick. My cell phone drops a lot more than the CGMs do so I'm easy to please, I guess. :D

8. Lizzy731

I don't like when the things works fine for months and then all of a sudden has issues and the CS says...well that's normal. Like I told her that we keep the receiver at our beside overnight and the signal has been fine up until the past 2 weeks when it seems to be losing the signal a lot. She said "well is there a wall between the monitor and the sensor?"...just missing my point entirely.

9. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

When you say you reset the sensor - do you do the whole two hour start up period again or something else? Just want to be prepared in case this happens to us.

We did have it go out of range for about 1 1 /2 hrs once, but then it came back and we didn't have any other problems.

We've also had good luck with their customer service - they've even called us to check up on how we're doing.

10. Lizzy731

No the reset makes the readings come on within 10 min