- advertisement -

I think it is actually cheaper to use alkaline batteries with the ping then lithium

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Oct 20, 2013.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think it is actually cheaper to use alkaline batteries with the ping then lithium

I have not actually crunched the numbers but I think when you take into account how often you have to change on a alkaline vs. a lithium and the fact that alkaline is much cheaper - I think alkaline comes out cheaper on the ping

This is based on Canadian prices. The cheapest I have seen lithium batteries is 4 for 10, but I can get 48 alkaline batteries for 12$

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

You could use rechargables, although it MAY "void the warranty" (if you disclosed this to Animas).

If you know what you are doing when selecting batteries and chargers, rechargables can be almost just as efficient as your typical alkaline batteries. Make sure to read and understand this entire article before purchasing any rechargeables! http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/03/adventures-in-rechargeable-batteries.html

Anyways, I hate excessive trash and harming the environment intentionally. So, I typically use rechargeable batteries. I have cases for my charged and uncharged batteries and I routinely recharge the batteries.

As an EE student, this is the hardware I would consider using.

Chargers

* http://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MH-C9000-PowerEx-WizardOne-Charger-Analyzer/dp/B000NLUSLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382287781&sr=8-1&keywords=powerex+maha+energy (comes with great batteries, with great specs)

* http://www.amazon.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C808M-Cell-Multi-Charger/dp/B000E65DG6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382287993&sr=1-1 (Good brand. charges a lot of batteries, but only has OK reviews.)

* http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-700-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382288056&sr=1-1&keywords=lacrosse+charger ( Great charger, and a good brand. You just have to find the right batteries and charge it properly or you will be disappointed.)

Batteries

* http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Typical-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B005ILYG4M/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382288190&sr=1-4&keywords=rechargable+batteries+aaa (great batteries)

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Do you use rechargeable with your pump? and what pump do you have ?

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Our lithium battery easily lasts 2.5 months with the Vibe - do you think you need the pump replaced if it is using them too quickly?

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I am using the Omnipod right now, but I plan on switching over to the 530g, eventually. I do plan on using rechargeables in that pump, too.

The only risk with rechargeable batteries is corrosion, but in reality, any type battery could cause that, but it is heard of in the cheap no-name brands in particular.

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

wow, that is a long time. maybe I will post a thread asking how long of battery life others are getting with the ping. maybe the vibe is different ?

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We were told that the problem with using rechargeable batteries in the pump is that the battery indicator may not work correctly and you may suddenly end up with a completely flat battery and no ability to pump, rather than a warning that the battery is getting low.

8. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I get 2-3 months out of one lithium battery, and only a few days from an alkaline.... so def doesn't sound cheaper, at least for me!

9. dianas

dianas Approved members

I get 6 to 8 weeks out of a lithium battery and lucky to get 10 days out of an alkaline. And that is only if Energizer batteries are used. Any other brand considerably less. And that's been consistent over the past 3 1/2 years. The first month I was on the Ping I went through batteries faster ( 3 to 4 weeks) but I think that was just getting used to a different pump.

The only way to know for sure is to try. I wouldn't buy a 12 pack to start with though unless you have other uses for a lot of batteries.

10. moco89

moco89 Approved members

If you know what you are doing, get a proper charger and charge s-l-o-w-l-y, get a battery with the right specs, you will have decent discharge rates (not rapid). Therefore you will likely have adequate warning.

But, it is up to the user to take those risks.

It's probably not worth the frustration for most people, though. I just hate waste.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We get a good 6-8 weeks out of the lithium. I mistakenly used alkaline one time and only got about 5 days out of it.

I do wish that the pumps would go the route of the T-Slim, using a rechargeable battery.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

LOL, I have absolutely no idea how long the battery lasts in DD's pump. Never occurred to me to take note. :p

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

you have to set it to alkaline on the ping. I have had an alkaline in the ping since last Tuesday I think and it is on two bars.

14. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I think batteries in my daughter's ping lasted approx 2 months? I think I changed them 2-3 times (?) in the 5 months we were pumping. My insurance company though, approves the batteries to be covered every couple of months so I don't pay for them. We get them through DME though not prescription.

15. dianas

dianas Approved members

When I have used an alkaline battery I've always changed it in the pump and still considerably shorter battery life than the lithium.

16. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We get about a month out of lithium batteries. I get 12 for $20 at Sam's Club. I do use Eneloop rechargeables for the Ping remote. Maybe I should try them in the pump - never thought about it!

17. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i can't believe people are getting 2-3 months on their lithium battery. Wow! We normally get around 6wks with 1 lithium. No idea on alkaline as we've never tried it in her pump. She has an animas ping.

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter is now using her Ping remote almost exclusively. As a result, we are seeing a shorter battery life in the meter but longer in the pump.

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Animas has information specifically about using rechargeable or zinc batteries in their insulin pumps:
    Q: Can I use a rechargeable, carbon zinc or high energy 3.6V AA lithium battery in my pump?

A: No, these batteries must not be used in your pump. Use of these batteries could damage your pump and will void your warranty.
    Reference:
    http://www.animas.com/faq/zinc

20. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

That's our experience, too.

With my son's Animas pump, we get 60-90 days with the lithium, and about 2 days with an alkaline battery.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it with a rechargeabe in the pump. We do use rechargeables for the Ping remote, however. And I don't remember the Animas user's manual saying that we shouldn't use them with the remote.